Repairing the Korg KA-320 power supply

Reaction score
If the fragile central pin in the plug of the KA-320 snaps off, one has to buy a new power supply. Yet, if the plug could be purchased separately, it's an easy repair job (just two drops of solder)' Would anyone know where such a plug/cable could be sourced?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Be very careful when opening up PSUs like that - although they may be unplugged, there may still be plenty of charge in the on-board capacitors (which should ideally be discharged safely).

Which plug do you want to replace (the part where you mention a fragile centre pin), as I'm not sure I understand from your diagram. The highlighted part (red circle) looks like a cable that is soldered directly to the PCB.

If it's the end with the DC plug on it, it's probably easier to snip the cable, strip it back and solder a new DC plug on the end and heatshrink the cables (rather than replace the whole cable).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a caliper to the plug and measure the plug.

Then go to Ebay and search for XXX x XXX mm power cable and see what turns up. If you have to buy a fully terminated cable and just remove the extra end.

Also while you're at it measure the hole in the power supply and look for a suitable strain relief as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You're right of course, I bulldozed in and opened it. Still, now that I'm this far, I might as well try and fix it!

The main reason I opened it without snipping the cable was that I had no idea how many wires were inside. Now that I see it's just two, I know that I should have just snipped the cable. :rolleyes:

Anyway, these are the specs:

Attachments

• korg_plug.jpg
    korg_plug.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 426
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I should of course have snipped the cable and searched for a plug but that would be the easy way! I didn't know how many wires were inside. o_O

From my photo, what should I look for? There's a thin needle-like pin (or should be!) in the plug-barrel.

Attachments

• korg_plug.jpg
    korg_plug.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 272

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wrong specs.

You need the inside and outside diameters of the plug itself NOT THE SOCKET and the diameter of the hole in the box for the strain relief.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone might have a dead KA-320 with a good DC plug? Glad to pay via PayPal if you would snip the cable and post it to me? :cool:

Ask a Question