Rhythm/Backing Machine or Software

Reaction score
Dare I mention the KARMA engine, which is available on multiple workstations. And using the KARMA generated rhythms can be output to drive other sound modules which may have “better” kits than Korg or Yamaha workstations. I just got one of the exb boards which includes a ton of Rppr sets and “sequences”, but also getting into programming my own beats…

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can also do a lot of fun sequencing with an Arturia Beatstep Pro or Keystep Pro.

And wait till you start buying modules.

THAT'S where the real fun begins. :D

Gary ;)

And the Summit's twice the price of the Rev2 and with a little coaxing a Prophet can produce any sound the Summit can.

Don't forget variables like EQ and speaker dynamics when you make your comparison :)

Personally I'd love to own a Summit but I own more synths than I can play at once these days anyway. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have watched a fair amount of vids on the Summit and I really like the workflow the custom-made presets that you can buy are just incredible. Ooh, don't you worry Gary I am going to buy it ALL!! lol. I got my YC88 a few days ago and it is hands down the best stage piano I have ever played. Grooving yesterday playing the Rhodes 78 to some funky George Benson songs... Just my type of music. :)

Reaction score
OK, so I am still looking for a drum machine. Just buying a drum machine for more traditional types of music is maybe not what I want to do. I need a drum machine that I can use for simple rhythm backing but also something that will enable me to create all sorts of genres too. Is there a drum machine that does it all?... I am really confused as watching YT it seems that you would only buy a drum machine if you were making beats for Electro, techno, dubstep, hip-hop, or trap. What am I missing here?...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want a drum sequencer that can "do it all" then you may as well start looking at high end grooveboxes which are really more like workstation modules with the same kind of learning curve.

You can literally take almost any kind of sequencer and control multiple tracks these days, from drum synths to hardcore romplers and synths.

How much do you wanna blow and how much pain can you stand during the learning curve?

Cheaper and easier to get a simple drum box, add it to your system and add a standalone sequencer like the Arturia Keystep Pro do all the heavy lifting.

I recommend this particular model because half the battle of programming is eased with 3 octaves of mini keys and control of up to 4 MIDI channels at once.

You can build simple rhythms or complete interpolations depending on how hard you work at it.

It's all up to you man...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you want a drum sequencer that can "do it all" then you may as well start looking at high end grooveboxes which are really more like workstation modules with the same kind of learning curve.

You can literally take almost any kind of sequencer and control multiple tracks these days, from drum synths to hardcore romplers and synths.

How much do you wanna blow and how much pain can you stand during the learning curve?

Cheaper and easier to get a simple drum box, add it to your system and add a standalone sequencer like the Arturia Keystep Pro do all the heavy lifting.

I recommend this particular model because half the battle of programming is eased with 3 octaves of mini keys and control of up to 4 MIDI channels at once.

You can build simple rhythms or complete interpolations depending on how hard you work at it.

It's all up to you man...

Gary ;)
Thank you Gary for the advice I really do appreciate it! I have looked at some higher-end grooveboxes in the $800 - $1400 range. I am always of the mindset that I would prefer to get something above my needs so I can grow into it. Music is my passion and I think like many of us it gives us an outlet like nothing else, music can really heal a myriad of personal problems! when I was younger I didn't have the finances to buy all this gear but now in my 40s, I have been blessed with a better life! now I am like a kid in a candy shop lol.

I really don't like menu diving hence my other post about workstations not being for me BUT I am starting to realize that if I want to get to the place I want with my music I will have to knuckle down and do whatever it takes!

I just felt that grooveboxes and high-end drum machines only catered to people who are into Electro, dubstep, hip-hop, or trap, and that's not me. I just wanted to know if I invest that sort of money will I be disappointed? I would say my cross-section of musical interests would be 70s Soul/Disco/Funk/Reggae, 80s Synth/Rock, 90s/early 2000s R&B/Dance/Techno/some House & Jungle all mixed up with some Trad and Acid Jazz!

I spoke with my guy at Sweetwater and came to the assumption that I could go ahead and buy the Alesis 18 and also a second drum machine/groovebox for everything else...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I spoke with my guy at Sweetwater and came to the assumption that I could go ahead and buy the Alesis 18 and also a second drum machine/groovebox for everything else...

That's a solid plan.

If you're looking to dump a lot on a groovebox maybe the Roland MC-707?

But IMHO the Keystep Pro is obsolescence proof.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That's a solid plan.

If you're looking to dump a lot on a groovebox maybe the Roland MC-707?

But IMHO the Keystep Pro is obsolescence proof.

Gary ;)
Glad to hear that you second that idea, Gary! I did look at the Roland MC-707 and liked it a lot. Actually, I really like the sound of many Roland drum machines/grooveboxes I have heard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I'll make one last pitch for the Arturia Keystep Pro.

Since it's a sequencer/controller, (the most advanced I've ever seen) and has no built in engine of its own it can generate sequences 4 tracks deep with ANYTHING MIDI you can hook up to it.

I use my mac MINI to route the signals and everything is hooked up USB.

In a pinch I could run DIN MIDI cables if I had to.

Otherwise you will find, with a standalone drum machine or groovebox you will eventually get bored with the sounds.

Add to that any inbuilt sequencers in the Summit and the Prophet, and you could orchestrate musical theater if you needed to :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Personally I'll make one last pitch for the Arturia Keystep Pro.

Since it's a sequencer/controller, (the most advanced I've ever seen) and has no built in engine of its own it can generate sequences 4 tracks deep with ANYTHING MIDI you can hook up to it.

I use my mac MINI to route the signals and everything is hooked up USB.

In a pinch I could run DIN MIDI cables if I had to.

Otherwise you will find, with a standalone drum machine or groovebox you will eventually get bored with the sounds.

Add to that any inbuilt sequencers in the Summit and the Prophet, and you could orchestrate musical theater if you needed to :D

Gary ;)
That sounds like another good choice! I am getting my Summit next week so happy days!

Ask a Question