Rhythm/Backing Machine or Software

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Instead of going down the keyboard arranger route is there a rhythm/backing machine or software out there for good-quality rhythms that you would get on an arranger? I ask because all I am able to find are drum machines which I might get for certain types of music but at the moment I am looking for something that offers standard rhythms for Trad Jazz etc...

Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
An oldie but a goodie. Get a Boss DR-880. 500 rhythms in the can and 500 user slots for your own.

Dunno if they still make them but mine is loads of fun.

Plenty of used ones on Ebay.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A second choice would be an Alesis SR-18 or SR-16.

No USB ports on those though.

Just DIN MIDI.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey! thank you so much, Gary. I am liking the Alesis SR-18, the quality of the rhythms sound really good.

Reaction score
These are good but are still not what I am ideally looking for, to be honest, I don't know if it exists! I think what I am looking for is a machine that has styles already loaded Like a Jazz quartet or a Ballad, Rock, or Latin style. Professional sounding backing like you would get on a very good arranger keyboard or perhaps even better?...

Reaction score
Yes there are, check out this recent thread which lists them

Reaction score

Thank you, I will check it out!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

To be fair those are all software options.

Chris originally was asking about drum machines.

There are high priced arranger modules out there.

There's the BK-7m from Roland, several from Ketron, all out of production I think.

Then there are grooveboxes, Like the Roland MC-101 or MC-707 Or the Novation Circuit Tracks.

It really depends on which one is preferable. Canned or Roll-Your-Own?

For the traditional tempos and beats like jazz shuffle, C&W, Waltzes, Latin, Rock, Fusion, etc, then the DR-880 or SR-18 are terrific.

Full disclosure : I own both :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Your right, Gary, I did ask about Drum Machines but also mentioned software in my title. However, I would prefer a drum machine-type piece of equipment. The only trouble is I am finding that the Alesis SR-18 is pretty dated and every time I search for more up-to-date drum machines all I am able to find are machines that cater to electronic, techno, or other more modern styles.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's why I suggest buying vintage.

The DR-880 sold new in 2004 for $499 USD.

They still sell for around $300 used,

The SR-18 was never discontinued but they still sell them today to people with your needs.

Like I said, I own both and do not regret either.

Fantastic practice tool for keeping your chops.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Another vector - I write backing tracks using Band-In-A-Box. I master them and play them from my iPhone or iPad. Works great but they are fixed arrangements. NOW, BiaB have released a version that you can play on a laptop, and while they play, press various keys to control the track - Loop till I say stop. Loop till i say go to last chorus - or bridge - etc. You control where and when. I play Great American Songbook and jazz, so it works well for me. Country and straight rock players will find a lot of usable stuff, i don't know about the modern grooves.
You can hear some examples on my website, the only ones using primarily BiaB for backing are on the "Recordings-> Especially For ->Groovers I'd post a link but I don't know if that's allowed. These were for sale at my (pre-Covid) gig at the Mission Ranch in Carmel CA.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe.... As another option...

Check out the new Roland FP-E50 (e-piano) which is like their FP-60X but with arranger features added; that would get you the easy selection of playback and all the styles you wanted -- with piano and other tones included. There are some good videos on it. But you could play along with a synth as a 2nd board too.

Old No7

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW Chris. By routing the bass output channel on the drum machines, I can port the bass MIDI signals to any of my other synths.

This technique can deliver spectacular results.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW Chris. By routing the bass output channel on the drum machines, I can port the bass MIDI signals to any of my other synths.

This technique can deliver spectacular results.

Gary ;)
Wow, that's an interesting idea! I am checking out the Rev2 on Monday so that shall be fun! it's going to take a lot to change my mind about the Novation Summit though! :)

Ask a Question