Right Hand

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have been playing for about two years and feel its all going well, except one thing I am not sure about.
I can and do read music ok, but what gets me is I have noted that when a better player plays the same music, where I just play the single note with my right hand, as it is on the music , he uses more than one note (one finger) at a time in some places.
is they a general guide when you do this to get it to sound more solid.
Left hand is all ok with cords.
Thanks
Chris

Reaction score
You are probably using a so called 'fake book' sheet of music giving only a simple melody-line or the line of a solo-instrument like trumpet or a singer. These 'instruments' play only one tone at the time.
More advanged players on multitembral instruments like a piano or organ or indeed a keyboard can use more fingers to play the melody and give it a richer sound.
Hope this answers your question.

DickR

Reaction score
Hi Dick
Thanks very much for the info, yes some of my books are like that but I have started using downloaded piano Music now and this does seem to offer more in the way of a melody line, its just that I would like to add to it a bit more.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Chris, as a general starting point, you can start palying chords in places where you want emphasis with your RH.

Eg. if the meldoy note is an E and your LH is playing a C major chord, your can also play the C and the G notes BELOW the E you are playing with your RH.

Easier to show with pics actually - sorry if it's a bit confusing

The Y-man

Reaction score
Chris, as a general starting point, you can start palying chords in places where you want emphasis with your RH.

Eg. if the meldoy note is an E and your LH is playing a C major chord, your can also play the C and the G notes BELOW the E you are playing with your RH.

Easier to show with pics actually - sorry if it's a bit confusing

The Y-man
Thanks very much for that The Y-Man, that's just what I have been looking for, I did have some idea that perhaps it was something like that, and yes it's just in a few places to give a more full sound, I will give that a try and see how it goes.
Thanks a lot
Chris

Reaction score
I have given it a try Y-Man and yes it works well and what I really like is the fact that you can gradually add to it, so thanks very much for your help.
Chris

Reaction score
Wow! yes thanks goldstein 5210, that is very helpful, just what I needed, I have just tried it out and yes it works great, I think I will get some of his books as well.
Chris

Ask a Question