Roland HP 1700 keys working intermittently

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Been playing a Roland HP 1500 (oldie but goodie) keyboard for about 2 years. I've overhauled the contacts and contact strips (cleaning) and it generally works well, but there are some tears in the silicone and new strips are no longer available anywhere. So I bought a used HP 1700, same as the 1500 but a few years newer. Thought I should clean it first so took it apart and used isopropyl alcohol 99% to clean the contacts and contact strips. But I've run into what I think is a mechanical problem that's stumped me.

Before I reinstall the keys, I check the contacts to make sure they're all working by using the eraser end of a pencil to plunk the contacts. They all work beautifully. Then I install each key starting on the left side and gradually adding keys. As I install each key, I make sure it works correctly and that the previous keys are still all okay. Here's the problem, as I add more keys, some of the previous keys stop working correctly. What I mean is that if I just touch the key lightly, there's no sound. If I push hard on the keys, there is the proper sound but I really have to push hard. The keys that are no longer working correctly, worked fine just a few minutes ago before I added more keys.

This seems like a mechanical problem as the keys do not touch the contacts unless they're pushed down. So why would installing more keys cause the previous keys not to work? I can't figure it out.

I took the keys out again and reinstalled them. Same problem; they all worked fine up to a point and then started to act up. Interestingly, the black keys are not affected and they all work perfectly.

Any ideas? I have cleaned the contact meticulously several times to no avail. The strips are all installed properly as are all the connectors. I've done the same job on my HP 1500 and have never encountered this situation.

Thanks for your ideas.

Bob

Reaction score
The contacts may be worn.

This is a product that may be your solution.

Gary ;)
Thanks, Gary. I wish it were that simple. The contacts are in excellent shape as the keyboard had only one owner and she rarely played it. I looked at them when I was cleaning them and they're considerably better than my old keyboard. The problem is that they work just fine until I add more keys into the mix. I'm now thinking that the additional keys may put different leverage on the contact strip as the first keys installed are on the left side of the strip and the second batch, which causes the problems with the first group, are on the right side of the strip.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Did you remove the contact boards? They may have shifted when you reseated them.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question