Roland Juno DS saved loop changes voicings?

Reaction score
On a Juno DS-88 I save a loop of bass drum and rim-shot rhythm and can replay it fine. If I play that loop and then switch to piano to play along with the loop, the loop keeps playing but the bass drum and rim-shot voicings change to the corresponding piano key notes, or whatever instrument I am trying to play along with the loop, so it is useless for making a backing track and playing along with. Any way to get saved loop to stay exactly as saved? Thanks in advance!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The way the pattern sequencer works on the DS is that the lead voice is defined already in the pattern.

If you want to change the voice in the pattern then do it in the edit and save with the pattern.

You might be able to change the lead in the pattern on the fly by keeping the pattern in edit mode and toggling the lead voice on the fly with the jog wheel.

Otherwise a workaround for live performances might be to save multiple copies of the same pattern each with it's own lead voice and switching patterns on the fly.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another workaround is that since a pattern can be saved with a performance that you layer the two lead sounds you want and control them with the sliders to bring up the one you want.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Another workaround is that since a pattern can be saved with a performance that you layer the two lead sounds you want and control them with the sliders to bring up the one you want.

Gary ;)
Gary - thanks for your feedback, I'm not well versed in the terminology like "lead voice" and "performance", just starting to try to get a handle on it, it's a bit convoluted. My goal is to save a loop so that the voicings DO NOT change so that I can use it as a backing track to play over with other instrument voice on the keyboard. I later found instruction how to save a loop as a "performance" but this didn't seem to play my saved loop back but rather one of the canned rhythm patterns. If there's and good resource that would educate me on all this please point me to it, the manual is sort of bare-bones and haven't found other resource that walks a neophyte like me through it. thanks!

Ask a Question