roland vr09 combo can i do wothout my arrainger ?

Reaction score
following on from my previous thread I have been looking into this roland synth / workstation

I have posted a link here of a Japanese guy demonstrating it really well

he made me chuckle with his enthusiasm even though there is subtitles he does a good demo

I have a korg pa 300 at the moment , I really like the buttons and controls on the v09 more to my liking and style of playing

no accomp part on the v09 but a great looper section and 50 odd rhythms I like the way you can build your own backings quickly and easily and record and save them

apoligies for spelling error in title don't know how to change it

my main decision is can I live without the accomp part of the korg and feel confident in playing my songs ?

not sure yet but there is lots I like about the vr09

Reaction score
another thought if I changed my korg could I connect a roland bk-3 backing keyboard up to the vro9 ? through midi connection ?

Reaction score
I reckon the VR-09 is a very cool 'board - trying to convince a mate of mine to buy one actually.

However if you do decide to take the plunge you will need to change your name to "Jim". Or maybe it could be a nickname:

"I'd just like to introduce the band. On the keys, it's none other than the master of the VR-09, Mark "Jim" Vaughan" [crowd goes wild].

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If two devices have a MIDI IN and a MIDI OUT port they can be connected to each other.

If they only have USB Ports then you can still hook them up to each other but you need a computer to do so.

Sometimes you can also use a specialized USB MIDI Router but both devices have to be class compliant.

As for the Korg, if you can afford to, why not keep both of them and make your decision afterward?

The truth is that anytime you buy a new piece of electronic music gear there is a steep learning curve. There's a reason why those manuals are the size of phone books.

A modern keyboard is actually a custom computer with a custom OS and there's always a big gap from when you buy it til when you finally master all the features and controls.

To make matters worse, you have to figure all of this out with a cheezy 80 character by 5 or 6 line display.

That's why it's worthwhile to scour the internet for forums and tutorial videos to help out with the learning process.

Other musicians have it easy. They have a few strings to twang or a bunch of skins to beat on and they're good to go.

A modern keyboardist, however, has to become a fricken engineer as well as a competent musician to get the best from his equipment.

Gary ;)

Fin

Reaction score
Getting one of these my self actually. In exactly 6 months I can afford d it...

Reaction score
I had a Roland V Combo for a few months and really enjoyed it. However I just traded it in for a Yamaha piano for the house. The only things that I found as shortcomings on the V Combo was that you could not modify sounds or splits or layers and save them, and the key bed felt a little too light. Otherwise it is a fun keyboard, and you can usb connect an ipad and run the Roland app (free) for more expression. My synth of choice is Korg.

Reaction score
If two devices have a MIDI IN and a MIDI OUT port they can be connected to each other.

If they only have USB Ports then you can still hook them up to each other but you need a computer to do so.

Sometimes you can also use a specialized USB MIDI Router but both devices have to be class compliant.

As for the Korg, if you can afford to, why not keep both of them and make your decision afterward?

The truth is that anytime you buy a new piece of electronic music gear there is a steep learning curve. There's a reason why those manuals are the size of phone books.

A modern keyboard is actually a custom computer with a custom OS and there's always a big gap from when you buy it til when you finally master all the features and controls.

To make matters worse, you have to figure all of this out with a cheezy 80 character by 5 or 6 line display.

That's why it's worthwhile to scour the internet for forums and tutorial videos to help out with the learning process.

Other musicians have it easy. They have a few strings to twang or a bunch of skins to beat on and they're good to go.

A modern keyboardist, however, has to become a fricken engineer as well as a competent musician to get the best from his equipment.

Gary ;)

I agree with you about what a keyboard player has to deal with, compared to what the other band members deal with. Gotta be a quasi computer geek, the manual gets so tattered that you have to keep a PDF version on computer (and maybe on your phone too), and more gear to haul. LOL but it's what you get back.....

Ask a Question