Roland vs Yamaha question

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I center the board on the stand.

Looking from left to right I have width adjusted to 27.5 "

The two knobs on the crossbars adjust width.

onstage-1.jpg

onstage-2.jpg

Don't understand what you're trying to do with the headphone jack. Headphone jack is for headphones. Line Out L/Mono & R go to the speakers.

Nothing there is shared.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary:

Here is photo back of the Prosonus, seems they gave a rca cord that goes to one 3.5 male. And another male 3.5 .to 3.5 that's it. Should I buy -- a L/R, 1/4 " to 1/4" males? Baffling they don't include that-- (or buy RCA to male 1/4,..)? very confusing...

Width Default was actual close about 26 1/2. Now 27 1/2 look good?

Again, where you put your keyboard on the stand , spcially, or does that matter? front, center back? I have my almost front.

I notice you have speakers on ground. Which is where my home unit speakes are, and its great. The Prosuns manual says to put them ear level. Do you notice much difference?

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpeg
    IMG_5232.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5234.jpeg
    IMG_5234.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 186

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I place the DS88 so that it's center of gravity is directly centered over the stand. Test it with a couple of hard keyboard strikes at either end to see if it's prone to movement. Mine sits there rock solid. It's slightly heavier at one end than the other so center of gravity is not the geometrical center.

As for cables? Save the RCA's for the stereo and pick up a set of these instead. You need 1/4" TS instrument cables, available at any guitar shop. You need one for each channel. Or you can buy the Hosas I listed below which are great value for the money.

Nobody ships with standard cables these days. You're lucky if you get a cheap 1 meter USB AB Printer cable with most keyboards.

Cabling is up to the owner to supply since everyone's needs are different.

As for speaker placement. Ideally I'd have them up on shelves but for me it's not worth the expense or trouble of setting up stands for a marginal improvement in sound quality.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary, great.

Will get those, cool. Appreciate it.
For sustain pedal, is this good do you know?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't know that brand, but it's switchable polarity and has 150 mostly positive reviews so I guess it's OK.

On my boards I use the M-Audio SP-2 for all my pedals. It's also a switchable polarity pedal.

And for a volume pedal I use a Roland EV-5. It works quite well with the Juno DS.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I don't think I need a volume pedal..? Speakers seem loud enough..?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's actually a CC or Continous Controller Pedal, meaning it can be assigned to any one of many parameters including pitch bend, modulation, filter cutoff, etc. It's a really nice thing to have.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ok I'll pass for now, as I'm newbie, and I think I'll be overwhelmed with the 1000 sounds and learning how to play! (I had few years backbround from lessons as a kid), but now getting back into it. I was not even going to get the sustain pedal, but my guitar teacher recommended it and it's only $18... That is the best / 1st pedal to get I suppose....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sustain pedal is an absolute must for playing piano or electric piano voices or guitars or other plucked instruments.

For strings and synths and organs not so much.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, The Juno is a Synth or Piano or both? It actually just says Just synthesizer on the box (not even word piano). But the Juno you recommend sustain pedal even though it's mostly or 1/2 Synth?

For electric guitar, I don't think they use sustain pedals right? or maybe it goes by another name for guitars?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's all kinds of effects pedals for guitars. I don't play guitar so I don't worry about them.

The Juno DS is a PCM Synthesizer which means it plays sampled instruments, INCLUDING about 150 different piano sounds in the piano bank. EP's, harpsichords, clavinets, harps. etc....

Don't get hung up on labels. Just find a few sounds you like and have fun.

Personally I really love the two theramin sounds built in the synths bank.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary cool: Thermamin is in the Juno piano bank? Most famous for Good Vibrations I think..?

Reaction score
Gary thanks, thermamin, don't see in Syth bank...

1000 sounds... 8-9 banks and turn wheel for 8-9 sounds.. I suppose they are free online?

Final: Sustain, just testing yesterday many of the synth sounds... sustain is crazy long as is.. basically sound just continues on.. is sustain pedal mainly for piano choices?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Theremin is Therasqu in the Synth Bank. It's around number 100

There's another one just a few clicks away from that one.

Like I said. For Plucked instruments and Pianos you use Sustain.

For Organs, Synths and Strings you use Expression.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
sustain is crazy long as is.. basically sound just continues on.. is sustain pedal mainly for piano choices?
Sustain pedal is for any time you want the sound to keep playing after you take your finger off the key. It's a natural part of piano playing, but it can be useful for other sounds as well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
More useful for strings, organs and synths is setting the pedal to sostenudo rather than sustain if that's your only option.

This setting actually creates playable noises instead of each note piling up on top of each other with non decaying voices.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, The Juno is a Synth or Piano or both? It actually just says Just synthesizer on the box (not even word piano). But the Juno you recommend sustain pedal even though it's mostly or 1/2 Synth?

For electric guitar, I don't think they use sustain pedals right? or maybe it goes by another name for guitars?

Guitarists do use Sustain, with a Boss (Roland) CS3 Compressor Sustainer and a TC EHGC being two popular ones.

A Boss GT 100 or 1000 or any of the multi effects all in one pedal boards also have the option of including one in a Patch which is a layered multi effects custom accumulation of any of the available effects.

Reaction score
Theremin is Therasqu in the Synth Bank. It's around number 100

There's another one just a few clicks away from that one.

Like I said. For Plucked instruments and Pianos you use Sustain.

For Organs, Synths and Strings you use Expression.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, for plucked instruments using sustain (would be a good benefit/ feature), that would include of course, the Roland, when I am on the piano bank of the Roland DS-88 ie, (not just real acoustic pianos)?

When you say, Therasqu in the Synth Bank. It's around number 100, are you referring to the Roland i have? When I turn the wheel, it has about a dozen offers. I have not discovered yet how to get to the others that are not on the wheel...

Reaction score
Guitarists do use Sustain, with a Boss (Roland) CS3 Compressor Sustainer and a TC EHGC being two popular ones.

A Boss GT 100 or 1000 or any of the multi effects all in one pedal boards also have the option of including one in a Patch which is a layered multi effects custom accumulation of any of the available effects.
Thanks Biggles, appreciate that as I'm getting also into electric guitar and will at some point put a small pedal board together. I love sustain and I notice how little I get out of my Strat on clean channel of my Fender amp. I thought sustain was mostly from dirty/ distortion, but these 2 pedals will give a clean sustain? How cool. Which of the two is better? I found the CS 3 online but could not find a link to the other one..

Ask a Question