Second keyboard...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The last two keyboards that I purchased (not at the same time), I had to watch for the delivery person and get the package inside, opened, and everything set up before anyone noticed what was going on. :D

EDIT - This sounds like one of those questions that counselors and medical professionals ask people about their drinking.

"Do you ever feel the need to hide your new keyboard purchases from others?"

"Have you ever felt awkward or embarrassed, or been evasive or misleading, when asked about the number of keyboard purchases you've made?"

"Have you ever felt the need to make another keyboard purchase first thing in the morning?"

Last edited:
Reaction score
:D
Wait and see... Am I going overboard ? Or just seeing how far I can go before my girlfriend starts asking questions ? :p

It was two months before my Wife noticed that the Arturia had somehow beamed down to join my growing collection.

I just smiled, works every time with her.

Reaction score
It was two months before my Wife noticed that the Arturia had somehow beamed down to join my growing collection.

I just smiled, works every time with her.

Lol...
Think I will have to try and find a long and narrow space to hide the Numa Compact 2X ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Guilty as charged Biggs. :)

But I haven't quite yet reached Kebu's level of G.A.S. even though I'm off to a good start.

At this point though, I've pretty much satisfied my cravings.

I recently got rid of the Zoom AR-96 and replaced it with another Minilogue I picked up used.

This is pretty much the last big change you'll see in my gear unless something breaks down and has to be replaced.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the range of sounds that my gear can now produce.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've been glancing back thru this thread and noticed an unanswered question.

Actually a partially answered question.

When it comes to controlling one board or module from another keyboard or device, you're not limited by 5 Pin DIN MIDI ports.

USB works just fine when hooked up to a computer running MIDI Routing software.

On Linux I use routing software called Catia. It may be available for Macs.

On a PC there are MIDI Routing Programs available using the JACK Audio Connection Kit and similar open source programs.

On a Mac you'll have to do your homework and google a bit.

Plus any decent DAW program will handle routing just as well.

So instead of doubling and tripling up your cables with USB and MIDI IN and OUT, just use routing software and your laptop.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've been glancing back thru this thread and noticed an unanswered question.

Actually a partially answered question.

When it comes to controlling one board or module from another keyboard or device, you're not limited by 5 Pin DIN MIDI ports.

USB works just fine when hooked up to a computer running MIDI Routing software.

On Linux I use routing software called Catia. It may be available for Macs.

On a PC there are MIDI Routing Programs available using the JACK Audio Connection Kit and similar open source programs.

On a Mac you'll have to do your homework and google a bit.

Plus any decent DAW program will handle routing just as well.

So instead of doubling and tripling up your cables with USB and MIDI IN and OUT, just use routing software and your laptop.

Gary ;)

Thanks, I’ll look into that !

Reaction score
Question : suppose I get the Numa Compact 2x, to accompany the Kross 2 88 at the other location.
The Numa has in-built speakers. Not the greatest quality, but I assume more than enough for home 'bedroom' use.
Could I somehow 'route' the Kross 2 through the Numa, to take advantage of the Numa's speakers, and put MIDI in the mix as well ? In other words, is it possible to hear both keyboards through the Numa speakers (and subsequently, through the Numa's headphone out port) ?

Would save me buying a sound system for just the one year. The 'mid-long' term idea is to integrate all 4 synths into one studio in the apartment (will be selling my current house next year). I'd rather wait until 2020 at which time I can contemplate a sound system that can handle everything, and keeping redundancy to a minimum. I'd be quite happy to work with just the Numa speakers until then...

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
MIDI Routing is just that. MIDI Routing.

What you are asking is Audio routing and that's a whole different bucket of fish.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
MIDI Routing is just that. MIDI Routing.

What you are asking is Audio routing and that's a whole different bucket of fish.

Gary ;)

So, not possible without some sort of external solution ?

Found this :

‘’ It has USB for audio routing...’’

Last edited:
Reaction score
Depends upon what connection features there are with the Numa.

I have my Kross 2 MIDI out connected to the MIDI input of my Korg PA700 and the PA’s inbuilt 2x25W amp and speakers play the Kross 2 sounds just fine.

So maybe instead of a Numa maybe look at another Korg like the PA 700 / 1000 or 4X.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the manual for the Numa, but if it has an AUX IN or similar AUDIO IN connection then you should be able to play the Kross through the Numa's speakers.

Reaction score
Could I somehow 'route' the Kross 2 through the Numa, to take advantage of the Numa's speakers, and put MIDI in the mix as well ? In other words, is it possible to hear both keyboards through the Numa speakers (and subsequently, through the Numa's headphone out port) ?
I believe the answer is yes IF you are connecting everything together through your laptop, since the Numa can do audio over USB. Otherwise no, because the Numa has no line input, and the Korg and Numa cannot be directly connected to each other using USB (only regular MIDI, which does not do audio at all).

I have my Kross 2 MIDI out connected to the MIDI input of my Korg PA700 and the PA’s inbuilt 2x25W amp and speakers play the Kross 2 sounds just fine.
That sounds impossible (or at least incomplete), because "KROSS MIDI OUT to {ANY} MIDI IN" would only transfer MIDI data, not audio. You could be using the Kross to trigger PA700 sounds, or you could be bringing the Kross sounds into the PA700 via the PA700's line inputs...?

So maybe instead of a Numa maybe look at another Korg like the PA 700 / 1000 or 4X.
Nice boards, but based on his other comments, I suspect he won't care for the action on the 700 and the others are probably out of budget. (And as an aside, the 4X doesn't have speakers.)

Reaction score
Scott

I just plugged it in to see what it does, all Programs and Combis play just fine, other features such as Arp and Drums do not.

Line out to line in everything works

Reaction score
Yes, Line Out to Line In will get you audio out of Kross into PA700. MIDI Out to MIDI In will not. If you're hearing stuff you play on the Kross coming out of the PA700's speakers and the boards are not connected in any way except MIDI Out to MIDI In, then you're hearing the PA700's sounds (triggered by the Kross' keys), not the Kross' sounds.

Reaction score
Yes, Line Out to Line In will get you audio out of Kross into PA700. MIDI Out to MIDI In will not. If you're hearing stuff you play on the Kross coming out of the PA700's speakers and the boards are not connected in any way except MIDI Out to MIDI In, then you're hearing the PA700's sounds (triggered by the Kross' keys), not the Kross' sounds.
Just shows how much I know about MIDI

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to drag out my dreaded flowcharts to illustrate how simple or how complex you can go with a configuration.

I just updated these today.

Keyrig-LR-Flowchart-2019-a.jpg

Keyrig-Audio-Flowchart-2019-a.jpg

Keyrig-MIDI-Flowchart-2019-a.jpg

So you can see that Audio and MIDI routing are two entirely different animals.

You can keep it simple or you can go overboard...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question