Second keyboard...

Reaction score
The speakers are fine for just hearing what you're doing (practicing, working out parts), but sound quality is eh, they have no bottom to speak of. Since the speakers face out the back (away from the player), they might sound better if the unit were facing a wall and you could benefit from some reflection. I've only heard them in open air.

Reaction score
Well, I guess any speakers will sound a bit 'off' in open air. I would just be using it in a smaller room in the appartment, won't need that many decibels...
But you say there's no bottom to speak of. Do you mean no bass ?

Reaction score
Right, weak on bass. As to be expected. They are single ("full range") speakers that are just about 3" wide x under 2" high.

Reaction score
I saw in another thread that you wish you had known about the Havian 30. If arranger functions appeal to you, then instead of the un/semi-weighted boards under discussion for your second location (Numa Compact 2X, Kross 61, Juno DS61), you could look at a Korg PA300 without raising your budget very much... it is very much like the Havian.

Reaction score
Otherwise, I could get a Studiologic SL Studio 73/88, pair it with a SL Mixface, and a couple of Behringer Studio 50USB monitor speakers. Would cost me about 100 euros more than the Compact 2x...

And yes, that Havian 30 looks awesome, but it hasn't got audio in, nor has it got audio over USB. Kind of kills off iPad/Mac DAW integration since you'd still need an external audio solution in order to hear the sound generated by the DAW...
I had been looking at the Krome EX some time ago as well, which comes in 61, 73 and 88 key variations. The neat thing about it, is that it has really nice sounds in it, and that it has dual arpeggiator function, so you can have a drum and bass sequence play at the same time, sort of like an arranger. Just not sure about that Windows 95 style graphical interface, though...

Reaction score
Completely different option would be to consider an Arranger, if you can live with 61 keys then an Arranger is an all in one instrument.

I have one and love it, there is a vast array of instrument sounds built in and each Style can have multiple instrument voices in assignable areas of the keyboard, drum backing is customisable from hundreds that are available. C150 Styles following specific song style is available via the Osimo update and this runs from a usb drive. Additionally 36 free Style packs which include customised instrument voices are available to download and install.

Check out the reviews on the Korg PA700 and 1000

Reaction score
Otherwise, I could get a Studiologic SL Studio 73/88, pair it with a SL Mixface, and a couple of Behringer Studio 50USB monitor speakers. Would cost me about 100 euros more than the Compact 2x...
I thought you said you didn't want another hammer action board. Regardless, I'm not sure the SL Studio gives you much that you don't already have in your other 88 already at that location, other than aftertouch. If you want more hands-on controls of computer stuff, you can just as easily add the SL Mixface to your current 88.

And yes, that Havian 30 looks awesome, but it hasn't got audio in, nor has it got audio over USB. Kind of kills off iPad/Mac DAW integration since you'd still need an external audio solution in order to hear the sound generated by the DAW...
and in a non-hammer action, the PA300 has the same limitations. You'd have to go up to the PA700, which is also much better in other ways, but may be outside your budget.

Reaction score
An arranger seems nice, but I've had an 'arranger' at my grandfather's house a long time ago, although there's no comparison. I remember it having rhythms and accompaniment like Bossa Nova, Jazz Rock, Waltz...
Looking at modern arrangers, they still seem to feature the same kind of rhythms and to me, that takes me back to the 'old' days. Nothing wrong with a little trip down memory lane, but I'm kind of done with that style of music.
Of course, I could be completely wrong and the arrangers you can buy nowadays are completely different. I know they can be : I've seen what can be done with a Yamaha Genos or a Korg PA-4X but those cost an arm and a leg...

Reaction score
SL Studio is a hammer action board and behaves accordingly. It will feel more like the Kross 88 than like the Numa Compact 2X.

Last edited:
Reaction score
An arranger seems nice, but I've had an 'arranger' at my grandfather's house a long time ago, although there's no comparison. I remember it having rhythms and accompaniment like Bossa Nova, Jazz Rock, Waltz...
Looking at modern arrangers, they still seem to feature the same kind of rhythms and to me, that takes me back to the 'old' days. Nothing wrong with a little trip down memory lane, but I'm kind of done with that style of music.
Of course, I could be completely wrong and the arrangers you can buy nowadays are completely different. I know they can be : I've seen what can be done with a Yamaha Genos or a Korg PA-4X but those cost an arm and a leg...
Look at the review videos, the Korg PA700 is what ai have and it is very versatile.

There are far more Styles available than the old ones you mention, want Dance then it is there, salsa, it is there, plenty more is available.

Reaction score
I look forward to the day this thread is retitled "forty-fifth keyboard"

Wait until I get to my appartment full-time, then I can really let rip ! :p

But truthfully, I realize I've been going overboard a bit lately, too many keyboards in a short time, and frankly, I don't think I have what I really want at the moment.
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about returning both the Roland's. I've got three keyboards set up in my house now, haven't moved anything to the appartment yet, since I've got so many other things to do, and the only one I'm playing is the Korg Kross 2 88. The other two are nice, but for some reason, I don't feel like playing them during the small amount of free time I have (I've played the FA08 a couple of times, and hardly touched the VR730). Will have to decide before the end of the week, though or I won't be able to get a refund anymore. Call me capricious, changeable, fickle, or what have you, but I'd rather make use of that return service instead of having to sell them at a loss later on.

I guess I'm searching for what I consider to be 'perfection' (something I tend to do on different levels in my life), and as far as keyboards go, the Kross 2 88 ticks all the boxes for me.
All the other stuff I've been looking at just seems to miss out on something...

Reaction score
Keeping just the one you totally enjoy and keep wanting to play is less crazy than keeping two you don't. ;-) You can always get others later if and when you find the Kross no longer satisfyingly does everything you want. Certainly, both those Rolands have many attributes the Kross lacks, but they may not be things that matter much to you, or at least not enough to choose to almost ever want to play those boards rather than the Kross.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the major things that draw you to the Kross 88 over the FA-08? For me, a biggie would be the travel weight, but you're not traveling with them. So, for you... Is it the sounds overall? some sounds in particular? the feel of the action? certain operational ergonomics (i.e. separate pitch/mod wheels, front panel legend readability, interfaces for sound selection or editing...)?

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the major things that draw you to the Kross 88 over the FA-08? For me, a biggie would be the travel weight, but you're not traveling with them. So, for you... Is it the sounds overall? some sounds in particular? the feel of the action? certain operational ergonomics (i.e. separate pitch/mod wheels, front panel legend readability, interfaces for sound selection or editing...)?

First of all, the look of the Kross 2 88, the dark blue, the finish, the knobs, the pads... it just looks cool. And I want to touch it :)
But that's not the most important thing : I prefer the action of the Kross 2 over the FA ; the FA feels more like a real piano, but still, there's something about the action on the Kross 2 that makes it very enjoyable to play (for me).
The 'joystick' on the FA doesn't really bother me, but I have a slight preference for the wheels on the Kross. But that's not the deal breaker. Although the FA has a large colour display, the interface just isn't all that agreeable in use. It's a lot more detailed than the monochrome one in the Kross, but at the same time, there's too much going on. You can have a bunch of information on there, but the thing is, it gets too cramped too soon. I'd rather have basic but informative readings than too much with unnecessary bells and whistles.
Been looking at reviews of the Korg Havian 30 and Krome EX and those screens are about the same size but are used in a very different way, larger buttons, more basic but a lot more informative and usable. If you know what I mean...
Nothing wrong with the sounds of the FA either (or the VR) but personally, I don't feel they're better or more usable than the ones in the Kross 2 (experts may disagree, but that's just my personal opinion).

In any case, I'd like a two tier keyboard setup for my home, nonetheless. Going to wait and get the appartment ready before I buy a keyboard to play over there (I've got three weeks off in August, will definitely make some progress then).
But if I return the Roland's, I'm going to need a little companion for the Kross 2.
Been looking at different things lately, mostly to put in the appartment, but still, to go with the Kross 2 nonetheless (was going to keep the FA08 and VR730 at my current house).
Still not convinced about the Numa 2x, and been looking at some controller keyboards as well. But ultimately, I will only be complicating my setup and I don't want that, to be honest. I prefer a keyboard with its own internal sounds rather than to rely on a DAW the whole time (and the Numa 2x does have its own internal sounds, I know, but there's something that doesn't appeal to me).
Things like the Arturia Keylab and Native Instruments Kontrol midi keyboards look really nice, but they're expensive as 'just' MIDI controllers.
So, seeing that the MX61 put me off anything from Yamaha (rightfully so or not, you decide), and that I'm not over the moon with Roland either, I think I'd better stick with Korg.
If you ask me, a Krome EX 73 might be a perfect companion for the Kross 2 88. It's got some killer sounds, semi-weighted keys and the dual arpeggiator really ticks a box. The Kross 2 compensates for the lack of pads on the Krome and I can MIDI them together no problem, with or without a DAW.
Only the Win 95 colour scheme on the display seems a bit 'meh'. Wonder if you can change the colours...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Totally wrong, the only Korg that will truly satisfy you is the Kronos, so wait, play the legs off your K2 then when you are settled get a Kronos.

For only then will you be truly satisfied.

Reaction score
Totally wrong, the only Korg that will truly satisfy you is the Kronos, so wait, play the legs off your K2 then when you are settled get a Kronos.

For only then will you be truly satisfied.

Seen the price on that one ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Let's go back to the beginning of this thread. Maybe for a second board you need something totally different.

Since you appear to have a dealer who is both well stocked and with infinite patience for returns, I'd like to suggest picking up a Behringer Deepmind 12 or a Studiologic Sledge 2.1 for your second board.

Analogue sounds might be the cure for what ails ya.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You do realize that your prejudice is 100% baseless. You can easily control any MIDI keyboard from any other with a simple cable.

And if you buy the module version of the Deepmind the Deepmind 12D then there's no keyboard at all to worry about. :p Or you could buy a Styudiologic 88 key controller to play it as your second controller.

A true musician is more worried about how his rig sounds rather than how it looks. :p

Take a look at any big name band on today's charts and you'll see plenty of rigs with a single 88 board and a host of smaller synths on the top tier.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question