Storing Roland FP30

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is a really good question to which I don't have the answer.

A few days or a week or two might not make much difference but once you start getting into months or continually over the course of years I'd like to know myself.

Generally the weights are usually glued into place on most keyboards and there was an issue with older Kurzweil PC3 weights dropping off because of defective glue over a decade ago.

Honestly I'd have to say it would seem to depend on the manufacturer and the model and the general build quality of the unit.

I don't really think that orientation would have that much to do with it.

Normally weights are suspended vertically beneath the keys by glue to begin with.

Rotating the keyboard might create an additional shear force which could conceivably cause the weights to fail a little quicker.

But ultimately it boils down to individual units and any design or build defects built in at the factory.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the well-thought answer Gary! I totally understand what you mean. I'll start planning out my room to have a place for the keyboard. Actually it's not mine. I just borrowed it from our company so I want to take really good care of it. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you really want to take good care of it, get a dust cover for it or else store it in a case when not in use.

Not one of those cheap spandex dust rags either. A good one made out of vinyl or ripstop nylon that won't absorb the dust.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unheated storage would probably worsen the effect. Humidity and temperature swings would loosen the glue even more quickly.

Then again it's never a good idea to store advanced electronics in high heat or humidity.

Believe me, you're good to go sticking it in a bedroom corner under a dust cover.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Unheated storage would probably worsen the effect. Humidity and temperature swings would loosen the glue even more quickly.

Then again it's never a good idea to store advanced electronics in high heat or humidity.

Believe me, you're good to go sticking it in a bedroom corner under a dust cover.

Gary ;)

Well it's not really cold here. The usual temp is 27⁰C and the coldest is probably 22⁰C. I'm not sure if that's cold enough to make the glue brittle.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No, I'm talking about leaving it in a garden shed or garage over winter.

I think that's what Biggles was getting at.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I was trying to ascertain if the keyboard was going to be stored in a location where wide swings of temperature and humidity which as Gary advises would not be the wisest of actions.

Additional to a dust cover if where your store it will present impact dangers then you may wish to add some form of mechanical protection.

Ask a Question