Styles in Yamaha

Reaction score
Hi just a quick question in Yamaha PSR S Series I just need to know if styles played in each keyboard lets say the 670 and 770 970 if I download a style will it play the same way on all three or is there a change of the sounds that are built in on each board since I believe the 670 has less voices..Thanks for input..

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Probably depends on the style. If a style for the newer keyboard uses a sound not available on the older keyboard, then it can't sound the same.

This is probably a question better asked at psrtutorial.com.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that the styles will sound exactly the same, since there's no guarantee that the voices will sound exactly the same-- even if the style uses voices that exist on all three models-- due to technical issues such as, but not limited to, any effects that are applied to the voices, as well as the number of elements that the keyboard can use per voice.

Nevertheless, the styles should at least sound similar on all three models. Also, there are a number of programs that you can use to modify style files, such that you can tweak a given style file as needed so it uses the best available voices and effects for whichever model of keyboard you have.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply I was looking at the PSR S670 but looking at specs on the Yamaha website I grabbed the PSR S770 Another thing I like is the ability to even add more styles to this unit since this is going to be my go everywhere keyboard..

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, the PSR-S770 is a big step up from the PSR-S670. And the PSR-S970 is a big step up from the PSR-S770. Of course, these three models also have big differences in price, so you really need to balance your needs and wishes regarding their features and capabilities against your ability to afford them. :)

Reaction score
I made my decision after watching videos like crazy knowing that once i get it hopefully I will like it . I also liked the Korg PA600 and the Casio MZ X500 but what drove me to the 770 was the fact of alot of styles that are online..

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, Yamaha keyboards do have a great deal of aftermarket support, both from Yamaha and from the large community of Yamaha users. :)

Ask a Question