Synth Keyboard for Marching Band

Reaction score
Hello!
I am in my high school's marching band and the director has asked me to look for a new synth keyboard to use.
Here's some of things I'm looking for (or not looking for):
- Decent selection of built-in presets
- Customization abilities (attack, release, vibrato, reverb, just small stuff like that)
- Sample pads
- At least 56-ish keys
- (Not required, but would be super cool) Ability to load custom patches from computer onto keyboard
- No more than $500

I'm an active keyboard player, but I know very little about the options out there so hopefully I'm not going in over my head here. I'd love to hear if anyone has any good recommendations. Thank you!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,
Under $500 still gives you many options. However, I wouldn't look at much less if performing publically.
At least 56-ish keys
61 keys is the norm.
What you need to do is just check out the world renowned brands (roland, yamaha, casio etc . ) ,the ones having having 61 keys. They all have features to accommodate your needs. You have to test drive them all and decide for yourself which is better suited for your needs.
I would have thought a marching band would be more related to brass woodwind and percussion. Where does the synth come in?
What sounds will you be playing?
Some people here will no doubt recommend some specific models to look at butI I think you may need to explain your role in the band and what the band director wants.
The more info you give us the better.
Cheers ray.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I presume battery operation is a must?

What's the audio situation? Do you plug into a PA or are you expecting the onboard speakers to cut thru marching brass and percussion?

Do you want to hang this around your neck and march with it or do you sit on the sidelines and play from a proper position?

Enquiring minds wanna know.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be fair Ted, pro sports is as interesting to me as a week old bowl of fish soup left out in the sun. :p

I was asking relevant questions about the venue and I was well aware of his budget requirements.

A synth that meets all of his needs only slightly over budget at $699 USD is the Roland Juno DS61.

However, it would not apply if he had to lug along a pygmy amp and a battery pack on his back while he marches in the Thanksgiving parade :p

Sure a Casio CTK 7200 might fill a few of his needs and stay under budget plus he could strap it on his neck and march down the street with it, but it's significantly inferior to the Juno both in features and in sound quality.

I'm just saying don't kill the messenger. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I may have missed something here but why not a Keytar? Sure it doesn't have 61 keys but it is designed to be played while standing or in this case, marching. I'm still not sure how the O.P. is going to hear it though. Real horns are Loud!

Ask a Question