Thing number two

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
500_image.jpeg

Can I Get You Anything Else Sir?

Play "thing number two" and gimme another beer.

https://soundcloud.com/orianelima/thing-number-two

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can honestly say this is the first piece you've posted that I've truly enjoyed.

Regrettably in all your previous pieces you carried out experiments in dissonance to an extreme that simply turned off my interest.

On this piece, however, you fired on all cylinders and provided a mellow, harmonious jazz piece that truly qualified as "easy" listening.

Great work Oriane. Keep it up :)

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
I can honestly say this is the first piece you've posted that I've truly enjoyed.

Regrettably in all your previous pieces you carried out experiments in dissonance to an extreme that simply turned off my interest.

On this piece, however, you fired on all cylinders and provided a mellow, harmonious jazz piece that truly qualified as "easy" listening.

Great work Oriane. Keep it up :)

Gary ;)
Thank you Gary for the comment, appreciate.

As far as dissonance, as you will see in Toomasinimay (below), the term is elusive and quite subjective "What is harmony to one ear, may be dissonance to another."

Throughout the history of jazz (the style of music that I like) there has been a long term increasing tendency to incorporate elements of dissonance into the music. If you have the time, read this article:
http://outtolunchjazz.blogspot.com.br/2011/09/unsystematic-history-of-dissonance-in.html

And also read about dissonance in classical music, "The Art of Setting the Senses on Edge. Musical Dissonance, From Schumann to Sondheim By ANTHONY TOMMASINIMAY":

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/arts/music/musical-dissonance-from-schumann-to-sondheim.html?_r=0

Thanks Gary.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oriane >>> While I agree that dissonance can be a beautiful thing if used artfully and sparingly in a piece, I still have to conclude that in your last few pieces it was applied experimentally and without structure to the point where I simply could not bring myself to listen to the pieces all the way thru.

Jazz and blues and middle eastern scales use semitones all of the time with great success for the most part, but randomly hitting accidentals in the middle of a jazz piece does not constitute good musical theory nor practice.

By all means keep working at it til you get it right but take extreme care to apply it with finesse and in small doses until you've perfected the technique.

As for my words? They are simply my humble opinion and do not take them to heart. The difference between a bad audition and a good one is nothing more than the few minutes it takes to play another song.

While I may not have enjoyed your other pieces you definitely seem to have found a following among others here so as always, perspective is relative.

Ultimately we all play to please ourselves and we are always our own toughest critics. :)

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
"dissonance can be a beautiful thing if used artfully" I agree, dissonance violates expectations, specially when played by the The Art Ensemble of Chicago as in here:

or by Charles Yves.

"Jazz and blues and middle eastern scales use semitones all of the time with great success for the most part, but randomly hitting accidentals in the middle of a jazz piece does not constitute good musical theory nor practice." In jazz, semitones are used as passing notes. Jazz uses dissonant intervals as shown in here by Dave Frank:

All songs that I posted, are compositions I wrote, and, humbly, I like to listen to them.
Except for Blue in Green, which contains a Gray introduction I wrote, the rest of the song I played by reading its full original score.

Honestly, I get the likes as an incentive. I know my deep limitations as a musician, since my technique is far from reasonable. As always, relativity confirms the rule.

Reaction score
Was that a photo of an acrylic painting or did you do that digitally? It is nice and that song is pretty. Reminds me to work on my drums. The drums worked very well with your song for me. :)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Was that a photo of an acrylic painting or did you do that digitally? It is nice and that song is pretty. Reminds me to work on my drums. The drums worked very well with your song for me. :)

Hi, Johnny. Interesting your observation. This particular painting is a digital painting, made with a soft called Artrage. Here's the link, they have a Demo, which is completely functional and is free, in case you or others (thinking of Becky) want to try it out.

https://www.artrage.com/demos/

My digital paintings can be seen here.

http://proartes.webnode.com.pt/about-us/

I painted a lot, too, with real oil medium, as you can see in the video below. Thank you.

Ask a Question