Total noob Question

Reaction score
I want to play the keys on Tom Sawyer By Rush But the chords have a sweeping type sound. Do I need a special keyboard or pedel to make a sound like this? As of now I just pick sounds from patch mode but I cant seem to find a sweeping sound like this. just so you know I have a Roland fantom and a Alesis Qs7

Reaction score
Hehe... your fantom can handle that intro with no problem. What you need is some sort of synth/pad sound, and try to use the modulation wheel. Usually those kind of effects are asigned to it for synth/pad sounds. At least they are on my keyboard.

Just play around and you'll get it.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks I did find a good enough sound in synth/pad I did'nt even think to look there! If you dont mind another Question or 2. How do they play the long sweeping keyboard sound at the begining of Reo Speedwagon Riding The storm out? or the sweeps in the intro of Ozzy Osbourne Mr Crowley? Can this be done with my fantom as Well? Is there a DVd or A website that can show me how to get the full use out of my fantom? Right now all I can do is play the patches or a midi file.

Reaction score
Roland's Fantom is the best workstation roland can offer. (Fantom X or the new fantom G). Only keyboards that are the same quality are korg's Triton Extreme, M3, and Yamaha's Motif ES, Motif XS.

Those are the keyboards you can play EVERYTHING on. Only thing you have to learn is how to USE the keyboard... not just play it. hehe.

Learn how to split/layer sounds, add effects and asign them to knobs or modulation wheel etc etc. You have a GREAT keyboard - just play with it.

When it comes to "sweeping" sounds... you actually don't "play them" - the keyboard does everything for you.

It's just a matter of right effects (sometimes arpeggios) triggered at the right time.
Like i said. play with the knobs and your wheels.. you'll figuire it out

Ask a Question