Trying to identify a keyboard...

Reaction score
Back in the day, my aunt and uncle had a cheap little electronic keyboard that we used to play with, with a very very '80s Styx synth-rock kind of demo song. For years, I've been wanting to get ahold of it again, but unfortunately they no longer have it (I think they gave it to a friend whose daughter wanted to learn to play the piano.) I'd love to find another of the same model, but unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what it was. I *think* it was a Yamaha, because I think I recall the Yamaha symbol on it, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it had more than the plain GM patch set, but the only specific things I can remember are sound effects that are common to both Roland GS and Yamaha XG, and I know it didn't implement the full XG patch set.

Beyond this, all I have to go on is the demo song, of which I can remember about eight measures of the intro and then a few snippets beyond that. I've thrown together a MIDI with what I can remember, but as I have a middling ear for music and I'm not very good with MIDI sequencer software, it's pretty crappy. Does anybody have any idea which keyboard this song came from? I'd love to find it again...

http://www.commodorejohn.com/demo_crappy.mid

Reaction score
I have no idea, maybe it helps if you go to www.yamaha.co.jp and search the history of the keyboards (production years). With a bit of luck you might recognize a name of the model and take it from there. If you remember the XG detail it must be Yamaha and I think not before the year 2000. Also if it wasn't the full XG patch-set you don't have to search in the mid- and toprange.
Good luck, maybe someone else recognize your 'creation'.

Ask a Question