Two tier keyboard stand and ideas

Reaction score
Hello to you all!.

New to this forum, thought i would ask your advice on two keyboard set ups. So, my question is, what is the easiest way to set up two keyboards in such a way that you can still see both keyboard LED displays. I have just got a Geno 76 keyboard and going to also get a Yamaha Montage 7/8 (undecided yet). They both have big displays and with the normal two board set up the top board would cover the display on the bottom board..

I have Z Stand with an attached second tier but i feel that however i adjust the top tier that board will be covering the bottom board. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you Guys!

Reaction score
FECDF1FF-2D1E-418A-B348-83DCD913CD26.jpeg
Welcome.

I have a Hercules two tier Z stand, not the cheapest but mine is very solid and well constructed.

As you can see the screen on the bottom keyboard is very easily viewed, but the second tier can be raised 150 mm higher if needed, adjustments are every 50 mm.

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome!

Wow, there seems to be a good amount of clearance with your set up!. I will have a look at the Hercules. Thank you very much for the info.

Reaction score
Thank you Gary!, the A Type stands look better in some ways as there seems to be plenty of leg space underneath. I wonder if they make stands for just two keyboards or is the minimum 3?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'll have to look around for a two tier A stand, but worst case scenario you'll have room to add another keyboard or laptop up top.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just noticed you're in the USA.

Sweetwater has a ridiculously expensive Gibraltar two tier stand.

Just for laughs here's the link.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyTree--gibraltar-key-tree-double-tier-keyboard-stand

but they do have a 3 tier A stand in stock for a reasonable price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...e-stands-ks7903-3-tier-a-frame-keyboard-stand

And they have 3 pages of keyboard stands to choose from so I'm sure you'll be able to find somthing that suits your needs and your wallet.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c508--Keyboard_Stands

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you so much Gary for your help!. Yeah i think $200 is about my limit but the Gibraltar two tier stand is really cool. I didnt know what my setup was going to end up to be when i bought my stand(s) so i have two stands already I bought "On Stage" two tier stand which worked fine until i changed my boards. The second tier on the On Stage Z stand angles up and down but i cant actually get it to go back enough so it would clear the bottom board so i can use the controls... makes sense?... lol. I do also have a X stand so im thinking i might be able to mix the two and MAYBE save some money!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own an OnStage Two Tier Z stand as well. It serves me well enough in my home studio and the Kurzweil display on the bottom tier shows up well enough if I lean down a bit while using the controls.

Keyrig-2018-13.jpg

But I agree, the adjustment capability of the upper tier is somewhat lacking.

You can always turn around and sell your extra stands on Craigslist and use the extra money to buy a kick ass A stand.

It's up to you.

Reaction score
FCDD7E9A-0880-4D62-9446-A6698EBEF2C7.jpeg
From Amazon, upper tier pretty adjustable.
Quik Lok QL742 Keyboard Stand, Black,

Reaction score
I own an OnStage Two Tier Z stand as well. It serves me well enough in my home studio and the Kurzweil display on the bottom tier shows up well enough if I lean down a bit while using the controls.

View attachment 1171

But I agree, the adjustment capability of the upper tier is somewhat lacking.

You can always turn around and sell your extra stands on Craigslist and use the extra money to buy a kick ass A stand.

It's up to you.
Great advice, many thanks to you Gary

Reaction score
Konig and Meyer

They do a very neat stand, downside is it is expensive but each tier is fully adjustable and I mean fully adjustable, extra levels can be added as can mike poles, laptop and iPad brackets etc

D33ED3A4-098F-4061-9C41-9FF1FF53F49A.jpeg

Going back to my own stand if the LCD screen on my lower keyboard was a tilt version the top tier could be lower.

In buying the Hercules I wanted it for the large range of height adjustments available and the fact it is very heavy duty (far more so than the competitors) so that I can modify it. I would be very reluctant to modify a light weight keyboard stand for what I want to add on to it. Being an Engineer by profession fabricating is second nature and I have modified the Hercules as follows.

On the image of my rig the music stand is a 20mm frame that I fabricated and fastened to the second tier brackets.

Additionally you can see my mixer to the top left which is also on a custom made bracket.

Reaction score
Konig and Meyer

They do a very neat stand, downside is it is expensive but each tier is fully adjustable and I mean fully adjustable, extra levels can be added as can mike poles, laptop and iPad brackets etc

View attachment 1173
Going back to my own stand if the LCD screen on my lower keyboard was a tilt version the top tier could be lower.

In buying the Hercules I wanted it for the large range of height adjustments available and the fact it is very heavy duty (far more so than the competitors) so that I can modify it. I would be very reluctant to modify a light weight keyboard stand for what I want to add on to it. Being an Engineer by profession fabricating is second nature and I have modified the Hercules as follows.

On the image of my rig the music stand is a 20mm frame that I fabricated and fastened to the second tier brackets.

Additionally you can see my mixer to the top left which is also on a custom made bracket.
Konig and Meyer

View attachment 1173

Konig and Meyer

View attachment 1173

Reaction score
Biggles - I like the idea of the stand and your set up looks great. I just had a look and i have 3 different stands at home. I have a Stage Pro Z frame with second tier, a X frame stand with second tier (Think its called a Quicklok T22) and another Z frame stand... so im thinking i must be able to make some kind of set up with that lol. If not i will go with what Gary mentioned and sell them on Craigslist. They must of cost me a total of $300 so if i get half not to bad.

Reaction score
I also use a Quiklok stand. I just don't know the model number and I have a 3 tier stand but it's rock solid! My wife gave it to my for Christmas a couple of years ago. I prefer the X style stands. I made a pedal board that has notches cut out so that it locks onto the feet and my pedals never go wandering!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have one problem with X stands... :D

Worth considering if you're piling $5K worth of keyboards weighing in for a total of 70 lbs or more.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question