USB MIDI to a 5 Pin MIDI Module

Reaction score
Does anyone interface a Keyboard with a USB MIDI to control a 5 pin MIDI input of a Module? Looking for a simple set up to take portable and not a studio connection utilizing a computer.

Reaction score
Does anyone interface a Keyboard with a USB MIDI to control a 5 pin MIDI input of a Module? Looking for a simple set up to take portable and not a studio connection utilizing a computer.
1) You may be served by an older thread, suggested on this page.

2) Me, I'm not currently using MIDI, but I have several options available. Including cheap Chinese adapter cables.

Reaction score
Chris, Thank you for the re-direct. The Camola USB MIDI host converter appears to solve my problem but-- Since I only want to connect one USB MIDI keyboard to a B4000, a simple adapter cable would be more suitable. What are the options?

Reaction score
Chris, Thank you for the re-direct. The Camola USB MIDI host converter appears to solve my problem but-- Since I only want to connect one USB MIDI keyboard to a B4000, a simple adapter cable would be more suitable. What are the options?
An example of my "cheap Chinese adapter cables" is: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004972730417.html. (Replace my Dutch page with your one. Also note that other vendors at AliExpress offer the apparently same item at different prices with different shipping costs.) - I have several of these, but I can't remember even trying them.

If need be, buy converters for different USB-connectors. - In my opinion, one should always have converters at hand for USB-connectors and for audio jacks (1/4" and 1/8").

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The adapter you linked to is-- I believe-- of a type that requires the USB device to be a USB host, and is usually for connecting a MIDI keyboard to the USB port on a computer. If you want to connect a USB-MIDI keyboard to the MIDI ports on a sound module, you will usually need something like the Camola instead. I did see someone on another forum say that the simpler cables worked for him, but that was because his USB-MIDI keyboard was capable of acting as a USB host, which is something that most USB-MIDI keyboards are NOT capable of. You can try the cheap cable if you want, but I have a feeling you might end up needing something different.

Reaction score
The adapter you linked to is-- I believe-- of a type that requires the USB device to be a USB host, and is usually for connecting a MIDI keyboard to the USB port on a computer. If you want to connect a USB-MIDI keyboard to the MIDI ports on a sound module, you will usually need something like the Camola instead. I did see someone on another forum say that the simpler cables worked for him, but that was because his USB-MIDI keyboard was capable of acting as a USB host, which is something that most USB-MIDI keyboards are NOT capable of. You can try the cheap cable if you want, but I have a feeling you might end up needing something different.
Thank you for the nuance! :)

Reaction score
The Camola is the cheapest I've seen for a standalone adapter that will do what you want (i.e. USB keyboard to B4000) . The cheaper adapters are for allowing a keyboard with 5-pin MIDI to connect to a USB host (typically a smartphone, tablet, or laptop/desktop computer). USB always requires a host device, and the Camola is an inexpensive host device.

Ask a Question