Weighted Keys vs. Non weighted

Reaction score
I have two kids that are just starting to play key... They are 17 and 12... The 17 year old thinks weighted keys are important and the 12 yo not so much.

They are both very talented and playing Coldplay, Journey and whatever else they happen to hear and play 100% by ear. I need to buy a resonantly priced keyboard for them....

Recommendations?? I'm in the $200-400 range if possible!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Reaction score
I live in Nashville so the second hand market is pretty robust. I'm a Bass player myself, but two of my kids are into Guitar and Keys. I currently have an old Casio that they are playing on but would like to upgrade them to something a little more "real" without breaking the bank.. Just looking for suggestions of good all-around keyboards...

The debate is can I get something with Weighted keys without breaking the bank?? lol If so, what?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Yes - touch sensitive and velocity sensitive - same thing - you play them harder, they sound louder.

Weighted - a heavier feel - like a piano rather than an organ.

Reaction score
Hi, Jeff
My recommended is Casio Privia PX-130. Price list $450
The Casio Privia PX-130 feature scaled hammer action keyboard for authentic grand piano feel.

Reaction score
Yeah, there's any number of inexpensive used keyboards for under $400- this is not the best forum to find it though. Sorry, I don't have a lot of info on that.

Without a doubt, the weighted action. There's just more expressiveness with weighted action, esp. with piano/ep's, which for many keyboard players are the most used sounds, and certainly the best to learn with. There is an advantage to unweighted for organ, but if they're beginners, I'd say give precedance to pianos and eps.

And having 88 notes is a boon as well for learning to play left hand bass on keys- and of course for classical

Reaction score
I prefer unweighted keys for organ and fast-fingering on synth lead passages.

The only thing that weighted keys are good for (in my opinion):

1. Strengthening finger muscles
2. Emulating certain styles of PIANO performance

So if you want a 'universal' keyboard go with the unweighted option.
If you are training to be a PIANIST specifically.... then get the most realistic weighted keys.

If you are still not sure what you want ..... get the 'semi-weighted' option and don't spend too much money.... till you have decided what you REALLY want.

If budget is also a consideration get the unweighted keyboard.... nothing worse than a POORLY constructed 'weighting' system..... a 'wanna be' weighted something that never managed to make the grade (this will definitely impact a child's progress into mainstream Classical training)

That's my .02 cents worth

Reaction score
nothing worse than a POORLY constructed 'weighting' system..... a 'wanna be' weighted something that never managed to make the grade (this will definitely impact a child's progress into mainstream Classical training)
The good news: One "child" is now 23 and the other is 18 since OP made that post. So I guess if their progress was impacted - the impact has already happened.

Ask a Question