What are the best standalone, affordable, VST platform to use w/ a controller instead of a regular all-in-one keyboard?

Reaction score
This will sound like an odd question.

I'm replacing my trusty (dying) PC3x and I haven't kept up w/ the new-keyboard scene very well.

I can't help but wonder if it's time to separate my controller and my sound, er... module(?)

I don't want a "module" version of an existing keyboard; those are normally too specialized and/or expensive, not to mention they don't really seem to exist any more. I assume someone makes a standalone ____ (but what?) which will take the controller inputs, run VST instruments, and produce high quality sounds.

I'm interested in live performance, so it needs to be reasonably portable (no desktops) and easy to use (which may drive me to a hardware unit in the end.)

What's the best source to get a sense of what's on market?

Reaction score
To play VSTs, you'd need a computer. So, since you need portability, a laptop/tablet format.

An iPad (or other iOS device) can also serve as a sound source, there are lots of available sounds (though they are not VSTs which is a different format).

The tablet form factor is nicer for live performance than a laptop. If you were comparing, say, an iPad with a Surface Pro, the iPad would be simpler, the Surface Pro would be more versatile.

As you point out, there aren't too many dedicated general sound modules these days. The only ones that come to mind are Roland Integra-7 and Dexibell SX7.

Reaction score
Many church players have /use Apple "Mainstage" (on an Apple computer) as the platform for using and managing "VST" type patches.
I have Mainstage running on an older Macbook and it an interesting set-up with many capabilities (read that as "requires Apple OS savy and learning to use the software). You should Google "Apple Mainstage" to learn a bit about it. I haven't done anything with my set-up in 2 years and can't begin too answer questions. I can say it is some powerful software when set up with a good computer and solid state drives. It's well worth looking into. YMMV Regards, Don
https://support.apple.com/guide/mainstage/welcome/mac

Ask a Question