Which of those 3 midi keyboards is the best choice?

Reaction score
What would be the best 61 keys midi keyboard? I only want to work with pc and ableton I'm not looking for additional hardware, I consider myself intermediate.

- Arturia KeyLab MkII 61 - kinda my choice I like the simplicity and solid build,

- Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 - it comes with amazing software, majority say that its the best (please, explain why it's better)

- Novation 61SL MKIII / Novation 61 MKIII - has everything you need but you can get lost if you are a beginner.

Good knobs and quality feel in keys are really important, additionally, is it true that "The more options a keyboard has the higher chances of issues arising through time"?

Reaction score
Arturia, i had the Essential version for a while, not the best build quality with an inconsistent keybed. Have tried the Keylab Mk 2 and that was way better made, with an OK keybed. The software bundled with their keyboards is imo pretty good.

Komplete S61, in a different league with build quality and keybed feel. Software that is bundled is pretty extensive and supposedly has great integration as you would expect. A Starter version of their software is available foc so you could try it. I have seen reports of problems with DAW integration so do check this our yourself.

Novation, I have tried both the SL and the Impulse in my local store, both were impressive. If I was in the market for a 61 key unit then the SL would currently be my choice.

Your final paragraph, I am of the opinion that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, mentality. It is the updates that frequently screw up a system. Turn off auto updates when you get a stable system, Backup your hard drive at that configuration and enjoy your system.

Ask a Question