What are you listening to right now?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
/me is not a gamer.

THIS is the crap that passed for game music in my time.

Gary :D :D :D

My favorite back-in-the-(latter)day video game music was the soundtrack for the Amiga version of "Keef the Thief":

I just now heard the so-called "music" for the IBM-PC version-- eek!:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My favorite 8 bit music was the Oxygene IV demo on the C64 way back around 1985.

Then in 1987 I moved on to an Atari 1040ST and grooved to the mod files attached to the demo scene.

By 1990 I'd moved on to an i386 and the PC demo and mod scene.

There were some brilliantly talented musical programmers in those days working with the Commodore SID chip with only three voices :eek:

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
"They Call it Stormy Monday"

This is the other one you said .

There are better versions of this.
Its been covered by many.
T Bone Walker . . The original is superb. Also Jethro Tull did it too in 1968.

Anyway nice choices of songs from the past. I once owned the original john mayall album. Great album.

Last edited:

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Yep, them's the ones.
There's a reason I love those old blues numbers done in the way they were ... it takes me back.

It takes me back to 1965 when I was a member of the Arbor Youth club situated in a the pretty little village of Pyrford in Surrey.
http://www.pyrford.com/history/pyrford.html
Just a short while before this we, the youth in the locality, had mounted a campaign to have some sort of youth club in the area.
The council told us that if we could raise a certain sum of money, several thousand, they would match it and find a place for and build a club.
In a little over a year we did it, and they built us a club, where Tegg's Lane meets the Coldharbour Road. Now called the Arbor Centre.

The club entertainments team were very much 'into the scene' happening at the time.
In early 1965 they booked John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and it just happened that Eric Clapton and John McVie were part of the line up.
http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/15/05/1965
I remember helping the roadies get John's Hammond onto the stage.
The other vivid memory is Eric playing the most amazing riffs whilst watching two rather beautiful young girls dancing around their handbags (as they did in those days).
Eric was born and brought up in the next door village, Ripley, and could be seen practising out of doors from time to time as a lad.

We never did manage to get 'the Stones' who were regulars at the hotel on Eel Pie Island not far from Twickenham, where my daughter now lives.
They were outside our league.
The hotel was well known as part of the early drugs scene at the time, as well as for other 'activities'.

Every so often I delve into 'a blast from the past'. Early R&B and blues figure heavily there.
Today must be a Jethro Tull day. Perhaps 'Living in the Past'.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Looks like everyone's cranking up the Wayback Machine this week.

One of my favorite bands from the 70's. Renaissance.

Ray will love Annie Haslam, a vocalist with a 5 octave range.

And John Tout was an absolutely brilliant keyboardist who sadly passed away unnoticed on May 1, 2015 from a lung infection.

I only discovered this fact this AM but I truly will miss him. :(

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ray will love Annie Haslam, a vocalist with a 5 octave range.

Hey hey .. yes! Very good indeed.
I am not familiar with this group. very "folky". No need for Annie to read our "transpose" thread on this forum. The band can play an any key and Annie can adapt.
It's a long video Gary:cool:. I have heard about 4 Songs so far. Will catch up with more later.

Now I did hear about John Tout. I think he was famous in another band.. wasn't he?

Reaction score
sort of reminds me of grace slick, if that's who was with Jefferson airplane?

edit, now I'm at 10:59, wow what a voice and I like this, going to save it. This may be the exact voice I was looking for, for some originals.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the band endured a lot of personnel shuffles and breakups over the past 4 decades, and Tout walked away in the 80's, then briefly returned, but there is not a whole lot of info out there on the man.

The most informative thing to do would be to read the band's wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(band)

Sadly, while Haslam has her own website and wiki, John Tout is virtually unknown by google save for his relationship with the band.

These guys were the Kings and Queen of Progressive Rock back in the early to mid 70's and between Haslam's operatic voice training and Tout's concert pianist style they were a truly amazing group worthy of the name "musicians."

They put out about 5 or 6 albums before their first breakup and then started "recycling songs" on releases as individual acts afterward.

To be honest, all of their best material is on that first half dozen albums.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
When you metioned "john tout" had passed away, my brain was telling me, I knew the name from somewhere. Renaissance wasn't it. Never before had I listened to their music.
It dawned on me now that the name "john tout" must have been mentioned here on previous unrelated posts. Makes sense now.

I have been watching some more of renaissance. Superb music. Don't know how they had slipped under my radar for the past 40 odd years. Maybe they never made an impact here in Aus or maybe their style eluded me.

Thanks Gary, I have now read up on some website articles and wiki references.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I believe I mentioned John Tout in an earlier thread here about our favorite keyboard artists.

That may be where you read it.

As for Renaissance?

The four albums to own IMHO are

1) Prologue

2) Turn of the Cards

3) Scheherezade

4) Ashes are Burning

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While we're on about "undiscovered" talent, these guys started out as street buskers in London at the turn of the century and I first saw them on Letterman or Conan about ten years ago.

While I'm not normally a big fan of guitarists, these guys could give Clapton or John McLaughlin a run for their money :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You probably already know this guy. I put on his playlist and listen to it while I'm working. It's how I came to like a lot of newer stuff and a lot of times I end up liking his version better.

Ask a Question