Which speakers/amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Yamaha Keyboards' started by Jon Yoder., Apr 17, 2018 at 8:12 AM.

1. Jon Yoder.

Jon Yoder.

Hi guys. I’m new to the forum. Just recently I bought a new Yamaha DGX 660 and would like to get a couple of speakers for it. I have it set up next to my grand piano in my house and would like to have more volume. I’m not looking for something to blow the windows out but would like it louder than the built in speakers. I understand I have to use the headphones jack. Does that mean I can only have it hooked up to one external speaker? What’s the best way to get good stereo sound out of it with at least 2 speakers? Does it need an amp between the piano and speakers or some kind of splitter? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks! Jon.

Jon Yoder., Apr 17, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    1. Advertisements

2. Jon Yoder.

Biggles

Just looked at the spec and connectivity is very limited with only the headphone socket being an output so yes this is the way to go.

You can buy splitters off the likes of Amazon that have a stereo jack the the lead splits into two mono jacks that are left and right channels.

The problem with using the headphones output is that the signal strength may not be of a sufficient level for the powered speakers.

Thats not to say its a deal breaker as my Behringer B108 are powerful and have a gain control so something like this may do the job, alternatively a mixer between the keyboard and powered speakers would have a gain control again Behringer Xenyx 1002 and Mackie powered speakers could works.

I am sure others will be along shortly, there is always a solution.

Biggles, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    1. Advertisements

3. Jon Yoder.

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Actually powered speakers and external amps expect line level outputs.

Headphone outs are normally too powerful and overdrive the line inputs of amps and blow them out.

However, Yamaha designed the DGX series around this fact and included a setting in the menus that switches the headphone outs to line levels.

Be certain you've applied this setting before hooking up the speakers.

I'd recommend a set of these edifier speakers from Amazon for decent sound at a decent price.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=edifier powered speakers

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Apr 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM
  4. Jon Yoder.

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

BTW, the headphone jack on most electronic appliances is stereo out. It uses a 3 connector plug called TRS. The edifier speakers come with a cable that feeds from TRS IN to RCA OUTs to connect to the speakers. The only other connector you might need is a 1/4" to 1/8" TRS Adapter plug to fit the connection on the DGX.

One of these should work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-6-35mm-Female-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B01D82XXGO/

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question