Workstation with built in speakers

Reaction score
Was initially thinking of the Akai MPC key 61, but alas no built in speaker, wanted something in my lounge that i could put songs together without mucking about, was fairly portable, and feature rich, anything else on the market i should look at? or should i get the Akai and just connect some speakers?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Akai is a MIDI Controller.. NOT a synth!!!

It has no internal voices. It doesn't need a speaker.

You have to connect it to a phone or a tablet or a computer to produce any sound at all.

Workstations don't generally ship with any speakers either.

They are professional gear meant to be connected to amps, monitors or PA's and mixing boards.

What you're looking for is a low end consumer keyboard with speakers and a few bells and whistles.

That leaves you with Yamaha and Casio's low end arrangers, maybe Roland Go-Keys, or a similarly priced Korg Arranger.

Reaction score
The Akai is a MIDI Controller.. NOT a synth!!!

It has no internal voices. It doesn't need a speaker.

You have to connect it to a phone or a tablet or a computer to produce any sound at all.

Workstations don't generally ship with any speakers either.

They are professional gear meant to be connected to amps, monitors or PA's and mixing boards.

What you're looking for is a low end consumer keyboard with speakers and a few bells and whistles.

That leaves you with Yamaha and Casio's low end arrangers, maybe Roland Go-Keys, or a similarly priced Korg Arranger.
Hi, thanks for the reply but the Akai is not just a midi controller, its totally standalone

Reaction score
Korg's PA700 and PA1000 arrangers also have workstation-style sequencers in them (the comparable Yamahas do not), they might fit the bill.

Reaction score
I can certainly recommend the PA1000. Before getting mine, I tried out a Medeli AKX-10 (far cheaper) but although it had some great features, I returned it due to a glitch where it would freeze and wouldn't let me change voices. It may have been my bad luck with that particular one but apart from that, it had slightly narrower keys which I don't care for. It might be worth checking out, though.

Ask a Question