Yamaha DGX660

Reaction score
Hi,
Some of the songs I like to play I save in my memory banks and may use 2 banks for 1 song and on the 2nd bank I input a key change.
This sounds good when just playing the song live, but if I try to record it on the keyboard it doesn't play the key change.
I realise it's a little lazy but apart from playing the key change manually, is there another way around it for the keyboard to automatically recognise the key change during recording?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When you say "key change," are you talking about using the Transpose function? If so, I don't think you can change the Transpose setting once you begin recording to a User Song, which would be why the Registration is changing the Transpose setting when you recall it during a live performance, but not when you recall it while recording to a User Song. The only workaround I know of would be to record the keyboard using a DAW, so you aren't restricted by the limitations imposed by the keyboard's built-in Song Recorder.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
"DAW" is the abbreviation for "digital audio workstation," which in the most common usage these days means a computer program that lets you record and edit both audio tracks and MIDI tracks. Of course, MIDI recordings are usually just an intermediate step toward the final goal of making an audio recording, so if you actually just want to record your performance as an audio file then you can use a simpler audio recording program, but a full-fledged DAW will give you more options and really isn't much more complicated to learn than an audio recording program.

Your possible choices of DAWs can vary depending on what operating system your computer runs on, although a lot of DAWs have versions for the three major operating systems-- Windows, macOS, and Linux. Some DAWs are incredibly expensive, but there are also very inexpensive DAWs, as well as free DAWs.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome. We have a subforum devoted to DAWs and other types of music software, so you might want to take a look through some of those posts:

Reaction score
If you have an iPad then adding an Apple Camera Adaptor to it will enable you to connect up the DGX to the iPad and then you have use of Yamaha’s App, also the free DAW from Apple which is Garage Band and then there are many, many other Apps that will function.

BTW
All Yamaha keyboards currently come with three months free use of the App Flowkey.

Last edited:

Ask a Question