Yamaha EZ-220 reset attempt, get stuck in "Update" menu

Reaction score
Hi,

trying to resolve an issue I posted here to no avail, I tried to reset my Yamaha EZ-220 keyboard following the steps from this thread, which I'll call the 'Update' thread from now on.
Since that thread has not produced any meaningful content for a while, I decided to start a new one.

The 'Update' thread proposes 3 methods (1)-(3) to initiate a firmware reset.
In my case, (1) holding the rightmost white key while powering on does nothing. (2) A "memory" button does not exist on this model. Method (3) is only briefly mentioned there, and I followed this method of holding 'Start/Stop' while powering on, which seem to invoke an 'Update' menu, but I don't know how to proceed from there. I have not found any key or key combination which lets me get any further.

I *can* power the keyboard off and on again, which will return it back to normal operation. This is different to the problem several users reported in the 'Update' thread. But I still cannot reset the keyboard, which was my goal after all.
Any ideas how this 'Update' menu could be moved to a reset?

TIA

Reaction score
Hi,

trying to resolve an issue I posted here to no avail, I tried to reset my Yamaha EZ-220 keyboard following the steps from this thread, which I'll call the 'Update' thread from now on.
Since that thread has not produced any meaningful content for a while, I decided to start a new one.

The 'Update' thread proposes 3 methods (1)-(3) to initiate a firmware reset.
In my case, (1) holding the rightmost white key while powering on does nothing. (2) A "memory" button does not exist on this model. Method (3) is only briefly mentioned there, and I followed this method of holding 'Start/Stop' while powering on, which seem to invoke an 'Update' menu, but I don't know how to proceed from there. I have not found any key or key combination which lets me get any further.

I *can* power the keyboard off and on again, which will return it back to normal operation. This is different to the problem several users reported in the 'Update' thread. But I still cannot reset the keyboard, which was my goal after all.
Any ideas how this 'Update' menu could be moved to a reset?

TIA
Update and reset are 2 different things. By resetting all settings in the keyboard are set back to factory values and probably nothing happens with firmware installed. By updating new or the same firmware is loaded into keyboard. You have to download and use it for updating. No buttons or menu items can do update without that firmware file.

Reaction score
I know that update and reset are two different things entirely, and I'm still trying to get this thing to reset.

Given that my question arose from a post by Moderator @SeaGtGruff in that other thread which appeared to be in the context of resetting (as an alternative method), I assumed that there should be a way to proceed in the 'Update' menu after deliberately accessing it via holding the 'Start/Stop' button on power-up, and reach a reset option from there.

However, I cannot find any way to navigate in this menu. If it actually is a menu at all. Maybe it is only a way to set the keyboard in a state where it *can* be updated, and the update depends on a USB computer connection that pushes the firmware update onto the device. So there might not be a way to a reset from that 'Update' message in the display.

OTOH, I take from the whole 'Update' thread and the frequency of that problem that Yamaha's entry level keyboards are probably finicky overall and firmware problems are common.

P.S.: I didn't want to insinuate that @SeaGtGruff had stated that what he described is actually a way to reset. In fact, he explicitly said that he has no further information about that 'menu'.

Reaction score
No, not yet. I'm usually quite reluctant to contact manufacturer support b/c of experiences in the past.

BTW, I also downloaded the service manual (from the elektrotanya site). It says absolutely nothing about any update procedure.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I helped them in their other thread. :)

TLDR:

1) Nothing can be done about the Master Volume reverting to its default setting on power-up, so the first step after powering up should be to adjust the Master Volume as desired.

2) The Main Volume is set to a given preset voice's default volume setting whenever you select a voice, so if you adjust the Main Volume function setting then be sure you don't select a voice right after that. The OP was using the Portable Grand button to exit the Function menu, so that's what made the Main Volume reset to its default for that particular voice.

3) Doing a factory reset won't "fix" anything since it's all working as designed anyway.

4) The Update procedure (which no one seems to have any real information about) should not be attempted except by a Yamaha technician who has whatever files or whatnots are necessary to complete the update.

Reaction score
Mod SeaGtGruff has said it all ...
I apologize for the two overlapping threads.
Initially, I thought I'd keep the geneneral 'Update' message/resetting mysterium separate, as I considered it a leftover open question from that other, somehow derailed 'update' thread. Not a good idea, as it turned out.

Ask a Question