Yamaha Genos and MODX8 key beds

dwg

Reaction score
OK, I know rule number one is try the instrument before you buy to see if you like the keyboard action ! Unfortunately that is not so easy these days. Maybe the music shops will open in a few weeks, but even then, there may be a reluctance (both from seller and buyer) to play around with the keyboards.

At the moment I have a Yamaha MODX 8. The keybed (which is materially different from the MODX 6 and 7) is fine. Not too light to the touch, and tending towards a bit of a piano feel. I am thinking of getting a GENOS but I cannot find too much on line about the keybed other than it is FSX with initial touch/after touch and various settings (Normal, Easy1, Easy2, Soft1, Soft2, Hard1, Hard2).

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of a MODX 8 and the GENOS and how the keybeds compare. Would one of the GENOS settings (say hard 1) get me near something like MODX 8 or a piano feel ?

dwg

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of a MODX 8 and the GENOS and how the keybeds compare. Would one of the GENOS settings (say hard 1) get me near something like MODX 8 or a piano feel ?
I haven't played a Genos, but the answer to your question is no. MODX8 is a weighted hammer action. Genos keys have no hammers and so will physically not be able to have that more piano-like hammer feel. However, if you're intending to keep your MODX8, you should be able to use it as a controller from which you can play the Genos sounds when you desire that key feeling. The Genos keys, OTOH, will be better than the MODX8 keys for some other sounds, like organs.

dwg

Reaction score
I haven't played a Genos, but the answer to your question is no. MODX8 is a weighted hammer action. Genos keys have no hammers and so will physically not be able to have that more piano-like hammer feel. However, if you're intending to keep your MODX8, you should be able to use it as a controller from which you can play the Genos sounds when you desire that key feeling. The Genos keys, OTOH, will be better than the MODX8 keys for some other sounds, like organs.
Thanks Scott - that is very helpful. Using a MODX8 as a controller is a possibility, although I am not sure I really have room for two keyboards and the wife ! I guess I will have to wait until we have some retailers open again, try the Genos, and see whether I could live with the FSX keybed.
dwg

Ask a Question