Yamaha p70 VS YPG525

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am going to be starting piano lessons soon and I need a keyboard/digital piano that I can afford with a reasonable price. I've found two keyboard from Yamaha (Which i hear is a reliable brand), however I was wondering if anyone could shed some light/opinion between the two models? What are the differences between the http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMYPG525 and http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMP70?

Which would you recommend be the better buy?

Thank you for any help!!

Reaction score
Well, for playing piano I would recommend the Yamaha P70 over the Yamaha YPG525.

The main reasons are:

The YPG525 has "lightly weighted" keys, which are lighter than normal pianos, as far as I can tell to make it easier for keyboard players not use to weighted keys to play it. If you are planning to play mostly piano, you probably wouldn't want this. The P70 has Graded Hammer action which means it mimicks the feel of a real piano much better(the lower notes are slightly heavier than the higher notes like on real pianos).

The P70 has the half-damper effect(important for certain piano pieces, but not much else), which the YPG525 doesn't.

It seems like the P70 has better overall sound since more of the money you spend is put into sound than optional features.

Another thing I notice is that the YPG525 is more like a digital piano that wants to be a keyboard, whereas the P70 is more focused to being digital piano. It's like the YPG525 sacrifices the best of both world to bring you something in the middle of the two that isn't really that great. Rather get something that is good at one thing instead of mediocre at two.

The question you need to ask at the end of the day is if you want it for the piano or for other funky gizmos. Piano, the P70 looks like a good choice, gizmos, the YPG525 seems like a better choice.

P.S. the YPG525 gives me the feeling of being an expensive toy. But, that is just me.

Reaction score
thank you letsel that was a lot of help :) !
And thank you I hope to be roaming these forums more often from now on!

Reaction score
I bought the P70 3 weeks ago and i say that the p70 is a very well stage piano (in that prices class) The P70 is the little brother of the p-85. Between these piano were no differents. (only the price). I have bought the piano in the Netherlands for €500 and that's 420.36 pounds... That's a great different between your price if ask me. The reason why the P-70 is cheap in the netherlands is that the music stores get there new collection. One negative point is that the piano hasn't a AUX. (could be a problem for some people). And try before you buy. Go to a local music store to try... But buy on the internet because internet make thing cheaper :)

Ask a Question