Yamaha USB-MIDI driver fails during installation (error code 25001 Device Not Connected)

Reaction score
Hello ! I recently own yamaha psr e453. I have encountered the same problems with installing the USB driver. I tried 2 AB 2 cables with which the printer works. I bought a new cable. It looks like I would have installed Steinberg Driver (It's seen as a program but I can not be sure it's okay). I downloaded the Musicsoft downloader. I loaded a song with the middle extension in the first window but the two big blue arrows do not answer. Messages are: '' Make sure that instrument set to allow MIDI transmission and reception ‘’. (I do not know what to do to set) but and ‘’ Cannot communicate with the instrument’’

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Yamaha USB-MIDI driver won’t install unless the installation program can detect that a compatible Yamaha keyboard is connected to the computer and is turned on.

Also, there are— and have been— different versions of the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, and the driver won’t install if it’s not the correct version for your computer’s operating system. What operating system is it (Windows, macOS, etc.), what version is it (e.g., Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10), and how many bits is it for (32 or 64)?

Note that if there was a CD-ROM that came with your keyboard and it has a USB-MIDI driver on it, it might not be the correct version for your computer’s operating system, especially if it’s an older keyboard model. It’s always best to go to Yamaha’s website and make sure you download the latest version of the USB-MIDI driver that’s compatible with your OS.

Reaction score
hey, im 15 and i still have problems with this. I have a Clavinova CLP-430 and i want to connect my macbookpro to the piano so i can play on the piano and it will be read onto the device. I am currently on windows on the mac but i can switch to IOS at any point if needed. But I have connected my usb to midi cable to the digital piano and i have the same problem that kevin has had. Is this something with being on windows or my piano itself? Someone help me please. :D I also need to use a program to do this but i dont know how to.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Welcome, @martin_madness!

Are you using Windows on the Mac for a specific reason? I'm thinking you might want to see if you can get things working in the macOS first, and once you've done that you can try getting things working in Windows on the Mac. I'm primarily a Windows user, myself, and you should be able to get things working in Windows, but running one OS inside another adds another layer of complexity for things to go wrong with-- if you're running Windows on a virtual machine. Or do you have the Mac set up so you can boot up in Windows if you want?

If you're using a MIDI-to-USB cable, rather than a standard USB cable, then either you shouldn't need a driver, or you should use the driver provided by the manufacturer of the cable-- not the driver from the manufacturer of the keyboard. What brand is the cable? I've read that some MIDI-to-USB cables can be problematic as far as data errors, so if the computer is receiving MIDI data then you might want to use a MIDI monitor on the computer to make sure the data looks okay.

By the way, one very common mistake when using MIDI cables is that IN should go to OUT, and OUT should go to IN, which seems contrary to what you might expect. That's because the keyboard's MIDI OUTput will be the computer's MIDI INput, and the computer's MIDI OUTput will be the keyboard's MIDI INput. So if you're using a MIDI-to-USB cable, the two MIDI plugs on the cable will be labeled IN and OUT, but you want to connect the IN cable to the keyboard's MIDI OUT port, and connect the OUT cable to the keyboard's MIDI IN port.

Doesn't the CLP-430 have a USB-to-Host connector in addition to its MIDI IN/OUT connectors? If you have trouble getting a MIDI-to-USB connection to work, you might consider going the straight USB route. However, you should check the CLP-430's manual to see what it says about USB cables. I believe you need to use a USB 2 cable, not a USB 3 cable, and you should make sure the cable isn't too long. If you do use a straight USB connection, you'll need to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for Windows if you're using Windows, but if you're using the macOS then I don't think you need to install a driver because the macOS should have suitable built-in drivers. However, this is where things could be confusing, because the version of the Mac's OS may be relevant. What is the OS version that's installed on the Mac?

Reaction score
I am receiving the same error messages that the other people on this thread have been having. My computer will not recognize my keyboard because it does not have the right driver, and despite the fact that I downloaded the correct driver, it will not install because "No device is connected." It's almost a catch-22, it won't let me solve either problem until I've solved the other, what do I do?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Which model is it? Most Yamaha models require the appropriate version of the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, but some models require the Steinberg USB driver instead.

Also, the length of the USB cable has been a factor for some people. How long is it? And do you know whether it's a USB 2 or USB 3 cable? I believe a USB 2 cable is highly recommended.

Reaction score
So I have checked to ensure that I have the correct Steinberg driver and it is now installed correctly. I have a USB 2 cable, but my computer doesn't mark which ports are USB 3.0 and which are 2.0, so I don't know how to tell the difference. Apparently USB 3 is supposed to be blue, but my computer doesn't seem to follow this convention. I also checked my device manager to ensure that I have both USB 3 and 2, now I just cant tell which physical port is which.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You could try looking in the owner's guide for the computer to see if it contains an illustration showing the various ports and jacks, and says what each one is. Otherwise, if none of the USB ports have a blue color inside, check to see if there's any difference between the USB symbols that label the ports.

3dc

Reaction score
I have a USB 2 cable, but my computer doesn't mark which ports are USB 3.0 and which are 2.0, so I don't know how to tell the difference.

Open the Device Manager.
In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.
If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.

Reaction score
I just purchased a Yamaha DGX600 but I cannot use the MIDI capabilities because the driver fails during installation. Searching online. I see this error code has been showing up for several years. Is there a working driver out there that anyone knows of? I've contacted Yamaha customer support twice and both times the people I chatted with had no clue what the problem was and told me someone would call me. That was a week ago and I haven't heard anything. Help!

PS- I'm running Windows 10. Also, the drivers come in 32 and 64 bit flavors and neither works (the 64 is the one that should be installed).
I am having the same issue. Its not clear what ended up solving this. I have tried a couple different USB chords. It did not work.

I am trying to manually install the driver from the link above. I have windows 10, 64-bit. I am installing um3141x64.

The error says to "Device not connected." It also says, "please connect device. If found new hardware appears, click cancel."

Sure enough, when i connect the USB to my computer, it does say "setting up device" but there is no cancel.

Reaction score
Problem is-
While installing Yamaha USB MIDI driver,
it get stuck at a 25001 error, no device connected, in spite of the keyboard is connected and installation fails.
And everyone is giving suggestions beyond context.

Reaction score
Problem is-
it get stuck at a 25001 error, no device connected, in spite of the keyboard is connected and installation fails.
It is the problem we have being a general forum and we do go off the original topic.

Op posts a problem, solutions are given.

Then a different Op adds to the thread in that they have the same or similar problem, again solutions are given to their problem.

Then yet another Op has a similar problem and a question is asked.

Nearly four months later the question remains unanswered.

Such is life, but welcome to the forum.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Problem is-

Are you getting that error, too? If so, can you provide more information, in particular the model of keyboard?

The 25001 error can occur for a few different reasons, so the solution that worked for one person might not work in your case.

For some people, they might be using the wrong type of USB cable-- that is, a USB 3 cable-- and that might be causing the problem. Switching to a USB 2 or USB 1.1 cable might solve their problem.

For others, they might be using the right type of cable, but it might be too long, which might cause the problem. Switching to a shorter cable might solve their problem.

For others, they might be using the right type of cable, and it might be short enough, but it might have a broken wire inside due to being wound too tightly abd unwound too many times-- too much wear and tear, too much bending of the wires inside the cable until one or more of them breaks. Switching to an undamaged cable might solve their problem.

And for others, they might be trying to install the wrong driver, or the wrong version of the right driver. Some Yamaha keyboards have an audio-over-USB feature which requires using the Steinberg USB driver rather than the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. Or it might be the right driver but the version being installed is for the wrong operating system, such as for Windows XP instead of Windows 10, or 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

And if the keyboard doesn't even have USB-MIDI and is being connected to the computer using a non-Yamaha USB-MIDI interface, then the Yamaha driver won't work with it anyway, because the driver needs to be the one that's designed for the USB-MIDI interface.

So it isn't a "one answer fits all cases" type of problem, which is one reason why it can be so frustrating for the user to try to find the correct-for-their-case solution to it.

Reaction score
Are you getting that error, too? If so, can you provide more information, in particular the model of keyboard?

The 25001 error can occur for a few different reasons, so the solution that worked for one person might not work in your case.

For some people, they might be using the wrong type of USB cable-- that is, a USB 3 cable-- and that might be causing the problem. Switching to a USB 2 or USB 1.1 cable might solve their problem.

For others, they might be using the right type of cable, but it might be too long, which might cause the problem. Switching to a shorter cable might solve their problem.

For others, they might be using the right type of cable, and it might be short enough, but it might have a broken wire inside due to being wound too tightly abd unwound too many times-- too much wear and tear, too much bending of the wires inside the cable until one or more of them breaks. Switching to an undamaged cable might solve their problem.

And for others, they might be trying to install the wrong driver, or the wrong version of the right driver. Some Yamaha keyboards have an audio-over-USB feature which requires using the Steinberg USB driver rather than the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. Or it might be the right driver but the version being installed is for the wrong operating system, such as for Windows XP instead of Windows 10, or 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

And if the keyboard doesn't even have USB-MIDI and is being connected to the computer using a non-Yamaha USB-MIDI interface, then the Yamaha driver won't work with it anyway, because the driver needs to be the one that's designed for the USB-MIDI interface.

So it isn't a "one answer fits all cases" type of problem, which is one reason why it can be so frustrating for the user to try to find the correct-for-their-case solution to it.
Keyboard is Yamaha PSR I425.
Driver downloaded from Yamaha Site version 3.1.4 (64bit)
The problem is after reinstallation of Windows 7 64Bit.

PC should detect the keyboard as Yamaha Portatone before installation of the driver.

My another Plug and play midi keyboard is working perfectly.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think the PSR-I425 is based on the PSR-E403, basically an E403 with modifications in the included voices and styles for Indian musicians.

I've got a YPT-400, which is just another name for the PSR-E403 for export purposes (whatever that means), and I had trouble getting the driver to recognize my YPT-400 at first. But in my case it was because the driver had already been installed for my PSR-E433, which uses a different USB device name-- "Digital Keyboard" rather than "Yamaha Portatone." In my case, I had to uninstall the driver, then attach both keyboards at the same time, turn them both on, and reinstall the driver from scratch so it would see and recognize "Digital Keyboard" and "Yamaha Portatone" at the same time. Then it was able to work with either keyboard, or both at once.

Obviously, your situation is different than mine-- unless perhaps that other keyboard you alluded to is also a Yamaha model that identifies itself as something other than "Yamaha Portatone."

But the key bit of information in your case is probably that you had to reinstall Windows 7. There are different types of installation procedures-- an "update in place" install that tries to leave your data files untouched, or a "clean" install that completely wipes out your data files. Which type did you do?

I'm thinking that you might need to check your system to see if the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver is still installed from doing an "update in place" reinstall of Windows 7. If it is, you should uninstall the driver. Or, if you did a clean Windows 7 install and then tried to install the driver but it was unsuccessful, you should also uninstall it. Then you should reconnect the keyboard, turn it on, and try doing a fresh install of the driver.

EDIT: By the way, I don't remember if my YPT-400 showed up as "Yamaha Portatone" before I got the driver to recognize it, or if it just showed up as "unknown device" or something like that. Of course, I was on Windows 10, not Windows 7. How is your PSR-I425 showing up, and have you tried installing the driver anyway?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have done a clean install of Windows7.

While I connect the keyboard & power it on, PC shows "Usb device not recognized" popup in the notification area.

While I try to install the USB MIDI driver clicking the setup file provided, it starts but ends up with the 25001(device not connected) error.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
But it used to work fine before you did the clean install of Windows 7, right?

Ask a Question