400 000 MIDI files - now what?

Reaction score
I have collected almost 400 000 MIDI files over the years. They span every genre. Any ideas of what I can do with this? It would be nice to earn something but I don't want to create yet another site selling files... I was hoping for something different and unique. Any ideas? I am a programmer/developer and am able to create MIDI software.

Reaction score
Yeah. I've also collected them on/off for many years and have that many or more. Lately I started getting them more organised and spent some time wondering what I could do with them. It's hard to know really apart from just putting them up somewhere and watching what happens.

Reaction score
Yeah. I've also collected them on/off for many years and have that many or more. Lately I started getting them more organised and spent some time wondering what I could do with them. It's hard to know really apart from just putting them up somewhere and watching what happens.
Hi aprilla,

Thanks for the reply. My thoughts are that anyone with a collection like this would put it up somewhere "as-is", and I am sure there are a lot of people who can use the files. But I was thinking of doing something different - like extracting just the drum tracks and making a library of them, or grabbing samples out of the files and making a collection for people wanting to make remixes of existing music. And so on... I've put a lot of effort into collecting them and would like it to benefit more than just me. As for the sorting - I tried to sort them best I could and eventually gave up. The existing names are terrible and sometimes just a bunch of meaningless letters. If you have any tracks you're looking for then feel free to PM me and I can DropBox them for you. There's a very wide range of files here. I like the 80's and 90's most but also some oldies here and there. I play them on my Krome EX just for fun and relaxation.

Reaction score
Interesting. I guess you could do a few and see if there's any interest in it. But if you are putting such work into them you'll want something for it. You'd need to know which would be the most popular to do, getting started. And there are loops and samples already out there, will yours ripped from midi files compete? You should try it as long as you're thinking about it, could even lead to more ideas.

I enjoy mine with my keyboard, to listen or edit and play with, or to make styles with, also for making sheet music.... that sort of thing.

Thanks for the offer, and you're welcome to ask also... will help if I can identify it, I've only got a fraction sorted :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I see a BBBIIIIGGGGG problem here.

You are perfectly welcome to modify and extract tracks for personal use, BUT, the second you put your work on the web the RIAA copyright cops will jump down your ass.

A lot of popular MID file sites have gone down over the past 3 decades for just that reason.

From what I've heard with about 50% of the MIDs I've listened to, drum tracks are nothing special anyway.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I see a BBBIIIIGGGGG problem here.

You are perfectly welcome to modify and extract tracks for personal use, BUT, the second you put your work on the web the RIAA copyright cops will jump down your ass.

A lot of popular MID file sites have gone down over the past 3 decades for just that reason.

From what I've heard with about 50% of the MIDs I've listened to, drum tracks are nothing special anyway.

Gary ;)
Ouch. I could see a problem if you put up commercial files either as is or modified, but all the free files that were being shared, made by talented people but not commercially... are they a problem also? I can think of one or three midi sites that still operate freely - sharing files that were obtained for free - and they don't appear to have any problems, that I can see anyway.

I actually was considering putting my collection up on my server as a long term website hobby for myself. I guess I better have a rethink.

Reaction score
Don't pay attention to Gary post. Do you use MIDI files for your own or want to sell them - no matter. Who can prove his property to these midi files? :) You can also edit any MIDI file and insert your own "signature" into it as if you've made it. :)
So - the best wishes to RIAA copyright cops! :)

Reaction score
Don't pay attention to Gary post. Do you use MIDI files for your own or want to sell them - no matter. Who can prove his property to these midi files? :) You can also edit any MIDI file and insert your own "signature" into it as if you've made it. :)
So - the best wishes to RIAA copyright cops! :)
I would pay attention to Gary. I remember when midi files were all over the net, there must be a real reason they're so scarce now. But I'll still think about doing something with them, though it won't be selling or claiming them as my own makes.... no one could believe that :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Licensing, licensing, blah blah, fair use, etc...

All while your lawyer babbles on at $400 an hour... :rolleyes:

Or do you s*** your pants when the first cease and desist email hits your inbox and move in to the Unabomber's old cabin? :D

It all depends how far you are willing to go and in which direction ;)

Happy Amazon Prime Day!!! :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have collected almost 400 000 MIDI files over the years. They span every genre. Any ideas of what I can do with this? It would be nice to earn something but I don't want to create yet another site selling files... I was hoping for something different and unique. Any ideas? I am a programmer/developer and am able to create MIDI software.
Just a thought from an amateur. I don't gig but i like playing at home. I'm useless with tech but have often thought about having bass and drums midis to play over. I like playing things by the likes of billy joel as instrumentals (root beer rag, just the way you are). Maybe you could edit tracks that way. I don't know if there'd be a market that would make it financially worthwhile for you though.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you are looking to create your own MIDI loops, the easiest way to start is with the piano roll view of your DAW.

Just edit a few different bars and cut and paste as needed.

If you really want to go gung ho, get an Alesis Samplepad and pound a few skins or simply get an Arturia Beatstep pro and create backing tracks on the fly with ease.

Anything worth doing is worth the learning curve.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question