a keyboards lifspan

Reaction score
The way it looks i am going to have to trash my Yamaha S-90 because the repair is way to expensive .Its only about 9 years old but it looks like the main board is useless.I would think that all keyboards that use 'mother boards' would go bad in about the same amount of time.Isn't this a fact of life? I didn't think of that when I bought my S90.I was just somewhat naively thinking I would have a keyboard for life with just some affordable repairs now and then.I was terribly surprised when told that it might need a new main board which i read cost about $1000 and that after only about 10 years!Any comments?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Most of my old keyboards and peipherals have suffered from internal batteries running out (that are soldered onto the motherboard), circuittry failures etc after 20+ years.

Oddly, my Korg EX-800 is the only thing of vintage still running!

Also, my Yamaha PSR-500 from 20 years ago is still running perfectly! $1,000 back in its day, so the depreciation is now only $50 per year :)

The Y-man

Ask a Question