ADSR Question

Reaction score
For this last Christmas, I purchased a Yamaha beginner keyboard (model PSR E463). The only effects that it supports are Chorus, EQ, and Reverb. It supports MIDI standards GM and XGlite and standard MIDI file (SMF) Format 0, 1 (Record).

It allows for a split keyboard, where different voices can be used. I'm used to playing SUSTAINED organ chords with my left hand, but there is no provision to directly accomplish this with the standard voices in the keyboard itself. Each voice has its own built-in ADSR envelope.

I'm new to DAWs and VSTs, but the keyboard can export audio voices in either .WAV or MIDI formats to an external device (e.g. computer).

My question is this. After I export a MIDI file (containing a voice that I want to modify), is there an affordable DAW which will allow me to modify the ADSR envelope?

At this time I just want to create a couple of modified voices where the sustain section of the envelope is set to "infinity," so the amplitude of the note is sustained fully until the key is released.

That would seemingly allow me to play sustained chords (with a modified voice) with my left hand.

I realize that you don't have this keyboard, but any general advice to my question and approach is much appreciated. TIA!

Reaction score
ADSR is not part of the MIDI data, so no, it cannot be altered after the fact. What you could do is play the MIDI file back to some other sound generating source (e.g. a VST) where you could alter the sound. That said, I'm surprised that any organ sound you could play in your E463 does not in fact sustain for as long as you hold the key down.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
See my answer to this question in the other thread you posted it in.

Like I said in the other thread, there may be Sysex commands that allow you to do this but it would take a hell of a lot of work to get it just right.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have the PSR-E463, but I do have four of the previous models in the series-- the PSR-EW400 (the 76-key version of the PSR-E453), the PSR-E443, the PSR-E433, and the YPT-400 (the "export" version of the PSR-E403, the initial model in the series).

If I understand what you're saying about "infinite sustain," there should be a number of organ and synth voices among the preset sounds which already have that. Some of the organ voices do have a percussive attack, but not all of them are like that. If you can't find a "panel" voice that has the type of non-percussive, infinite-sustain organ sound that you're looking for, check among the "XGlite" voices.

Unfortunately, the XGlite standard doesn't support modifying the decay and sustain phases of the envelope as the full XG standard does, just the attack and release phases. This can be done on the keyboard itself using the two Live Control knobs or the Function menu, or it can be done via MIDI using standard CC messages-- CC 73 modifies the attack time, while CC 72 modifies the release time.

Actually, I don't think that even the full XG standard lets you modify the sustain level of the ADSR envelope, just the decay time. However, I think the voice-editing applications for some XG models and synths might let you modify the sustain levels of the elements (or simplest sound samples) which make up a voice, but that doesn't help with the PSR-E models since those models don't allow the importing of new "voice packs."

Ask a Question