Yamaha FC4A Sustain pedal question

Reaction score
I recently have purchased FC4A sustain pedal for my PSR E363 keyboard from Yamaha official store. I don't know whether it is a fault or my misunderstanding but the pedal only create sustain effect when I FULLY PRESS it, when I leave down the pedal even a bit (more than half still pressed) it cease the sustain effect. I feel this odd because I expected that the sustain would slowly fades up with pedal release but thats not happening.

So Am I wrong or the pedal is faulty??

its a request please tell me soon because if I keep it for day or two. I don't think I will even have dare to bring it back to store. please respond as soon as possible.....thank you

16020889849611368398013022953150.jpg

Reaction score
I mis-read your question, so I deleted my 1st reply...

I think there's a difference of how a $2,000 keyboard responds to sustain versus a $200 one. I don't have an E363 wouldn't be surprised at all if a keyboard on the low-price end of the scale was "on or off' for sustain, and didn't have a dynamic range of sustain from say 1 to 10, in increments of 1.

Check your manual to see if there's anything in there, and if not -- Google it.

Old No7

Reaction score
I am unable to find anywhere regarding sustain dynamic range looked through manual, yamaha e363 official website but can't find anything relating to it.

Can anyone please confirm who has similar model like mine or can guide me more
I mis-read your question, so I deleted my 1st reply...

I think there's a difference of how a $2,000 keyboard responds to sustain versus a $200 one. I don't have an E363 wouldn't be surprised at all if a keyboard on the low-price end of the scale was "on or off' for sustain, and didn't have a dynamic range of sustain from say 1 to 10, in increments of 1.

Check your manual to see if there's anything in there, and if not -- Google it.

Old No7

Reaction score
It is an on/off action, it does not work in a progressive manner.

Some models of keyboards have an half pedal feature and the sustain pedal required to support this feature will need to support the feature.

The manual will explain sustain and half pedaling but I would be very surprised if your keyboard was anything other than a simple on/off action

Reaction score
It is an on/off action, it does not work in a progressive manner.

Some models of keyboards have an half pedal feature and the sustain pedal required to support this feature will need to support the feature.

The manual will explain sustain and half pedaling but I would be very surprised if your keyboard was anything other than a simple on/off action

yes you are right my keyboard doesn't support half pedal feature. I got it thanks everyone for your keen support and guidance

The thread is closed now

Reaction score
yes you are right my keyboard doesn't support half pedal feature. I got it thanks everyone for your keen support and guidance

The thread is closed now
Just so you understand even if your keyboard did support half pedaling you won't get half pedaling from the FC4A pedal, it is incapable of delivering half-pedaling. A half pedaling sustain pedal has a TRS input (i.e. tip/ring/sleeve). It needs this in order to understand how far you have pushed the pedal down. There is a device inside the pedal and the resistance within the pedal device is measured to provide an input control voltage. This tells the software how far down the pedal has traveled. It uses the "ring" as part of the determination to calculate the position of the pedal travel and also continuously checking for pedal movement and how far the travel is.

The FC4A is tip/sleeve only, not tip/ring/sleeve so it is not capable of doing the measurement and providing half pedaling. In your particular case it doesn't matter but if you were to purchase an instrument that allows for half-pedaling you will need a sustain pedal that also supports half-pedaling.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reaction score
Just so you understand even if your keyboard did support half pedaling you won't get half pedaling from the FC4A pedal, it is incapable of delivering half-pedaling. A half pedaling sustain pedal has a TRS input (i.e. tip/ring/sleeve). It needs this in order to understand how far you have pushed the pedal down. There is a device inside the pedal and the resistance within the pedal device is measured to provide an input control voltage. This tells the software how far down the pedal has traveled. It uses the "ring" as part of the determination to calculate the position of the pedal travel and also continuously checking for pedal movement and how far the travel is.

The FC4A is tip/sleeve only, not tip/ring/sleeve so it is not capable of doing the measurement and providing half pedaling. In your particular case it doesn't matter but if you were to purchase an instrument that allows for half-pedaling you will need a sustain pedal that also supports half-pedaling.

I highly highly appreciate this reply delaware Dave, this resolved all the queries which I have.... and I don't think many of here are aware of this tip/ring difference. Your this reply will help others as well in future....

thank you once again :)

Ask a Question