Amp/Studio Monitor recommendations for in-home setup

Reaction score
Hi.

I just bought a Roland Fantom G8, and I am replacing my piano and Roland XP-80 with this fantastic machine, but it is going to be set up in my living-room (carpeted)-I don't have room in my house for a studio-setup. I'd like to get some studio monitors or keyboard amps that'll sound great for playing at home and will be good for song recording at home. I want something that sounds nice, no tinny type of sound, but won't break me, and it is not needed for playing live at a club or anything like that. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Go to www.soundonsound.com

Select "Reviews" tab - "Monitors" on drop down list.

You're looking for reviews of "active nearfield monitors". The very recent stuff needs a subscription but the rest is free to read.

Cheapest option - pair of powered computer speakers will get you going and may be all you need.

Next price up - pair of 2nd hand Tannoy Reveal 5As or similar (e.g. Alesis M1 Actives - 520 or 620s)

Here's a link to the Alesis review from 2006:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/alesism1.htm

The ends of these articles/reviews suggest alternatives.

What you could do is make a list of stuff you'd consider getting based on the SOS reviews and then check out your second hand market.

The KRK stuff is popular with DJs and the techno kids - may not be as good value second hand. The Tannoys and Alesis models I've suggested sound great.

Post back if you want to spend silly money - or better still, post this over at the Gearslutz forum - there'll be a feeding frenzy to help spend your cash.

Reaction score
Go to www.soundonsound.com

Select "Reviews" tab - "Monitors" on drop down list.

You're looking for reviews of "active nearfield monitors". The very recent stuff needs a subscription but the rest is free to read.

Cheapest option - pair of powered computer speakers will get you going and may be all you need.

Next price up - pair of 2nd hand Tannoy Reveal 5As or similar (e.g. Alesis M1 Actives - 520 or 620s)

Here's a link to the Alesis review from 2006:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/alesism1.htm

The ends of these articles/reviews suggest alternatives.

What you could do is make a list of stuff you'd consider getting based on the SOS reviews and then check out your second hand market.

The KRK stuff is popular with DJs and the techno kids - may not be as good value second hand. The Tannoys and Alesis models I've suggested sound great.

Post back if you want to spend silly money - or better still, post this over at the Gearslutz forum - there'll be a feeding frenzy to help spend your cash.

That's a great start. Thanks so much!

Ask a Question