Viking Rat and Vampire Elvis Out on the Town!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fortunately no cops or vampire hunters were involved...

halloween-2018.jpg

Talk to you tomorrow after the world stops spinning. :D :D :D

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes it just feels right to scream at the world and say "I wanna be stupid toinght!!!" :D :D :D

It was either go out and get sh*tfaced or stay home and watch the Goldbergs :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. Mind you, I don't know what the Goldbergs is.
I'm kinda ticked though that "The Crown" was only 2 seasons, Yes I do know that there are going to be more but since I tend to either PVR shows or watch Netflix, I'm pretty much out of the loop TV wise. Right now we're digging Suits! And waiting for more Gordon Ramsey type shows. My wife loves him. So, you know I do too of course.
Our screen time is limited to Breakfast Television in the morning and CTV or something news if we're home in time.
Then it's either something on the PVR or Netflix. I'm totally ok with that though.
I can always head to my studio and catch YouTube.
By the way. I'm about to become gainfully employed again!
So much for retirement. Poop!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I cut off my Bell TV 3 years ago and never looked back.

I have a third party 50 Mbit DSL connection, a Roku box with subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Filmon IPTV as well as an android box that runs Kodi and two Ooma IP phone lines, a Fido cell and a state of the art digital antenna in my 9th floor apartment that brings in 35 live channels. :D

I also have a HDD/DVD PVR/Burner that records late night programming so I can watch the next day.

Altogether I'm fully entertained for a fraction of what I used to pay for Bell Satellite and landline and internet. :p

I'd rather run my nads thru a cheese grater than switch back to Rogers or Bell ever again :p

Oh, and THESE, are The Goldbergs... :D Wednesday nights at 8 PM on CTV.

BTW. congrats on the new job. :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool! One of the things we demanded before we moved in was free TV. We're not big TV people so for years all we had was basic cable. Heck, we only got a TV that wasn't a cathode ray tube this spring. I'm glad you can watch pretty much whatever suits your fancy, even though I have absolutely no idea what most of the things you mentioned are. D'oh! I get the 35 free channels. That makes a ton of sense to me. Back in the dark ages I discovered that if I just stick a wire into the cable socket on the back of my TV I could get 9 free channels.
We're an odd couple in this day and age. Only one TV in the house.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Get yourself one of these and you'll never be short on entertainment again. Perfectly legal in Canada and offers both paid services like Netflix and Prime Video as well as over 30,000 other specialty, news and movie channels, mostly free of charge.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077VTB2B7/

Winter is coming and watching a good movie in a warm living room beats the snot out of blowing snot on a hockey rink :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks! Does it work through the internet? Ours is frightfully slow here.Sometimes Netflix makes us wait while it buffers more. It's because of the antique modem. Heck, it's from around 2004. Really! Possibly a little older. Even though we don't pay for internet and we're on Rogers, the landlord can't wrap his head around the idea of upgrading. And he can get a new one FOR FREE!! Our wireless isn't even password protected!
Don't ask. I can't get an answer from him.
If my wife is on the iPad and I fire up my computer, her internet stops on the iPad.Also, I can't use my computer if she is watching Netflix. Nuts, eh?
As for things to do in the winter, We generally snuggle up under a thick warm blanket, put on the fireplace channel and read.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you can receive Netflix with your connection it will work but it sounds like it may be frustratingly slow.

I used to run mine with a 10 Mbit connection and I could get a decent stream going but I upgraded to 50 Mbit last year and now I can run two of those suckers simultaneously as well as use my IP phones and surf the net all at the same time.

I'm not being judgmental about your choice of internet but free garbage is still garbage. You should seriously be considering other options for your internet amd pay for it with your own dime.

My 50 Mbit connection is costing me about $63 a month (taxes in) and it comes over a standard bell phone line. If I were you I'd at least make a few phone calls and see what speeds are available in your postal code.

Here's some of the better places to get third party internet these days. I'm with Worldline.

https://www.worldline.ca/

https://www.vmedia.ca/en

https://www.distributel.ca/

https://teksavvy.com/

My brother is with vmedia and also gets Canadian Cable Programming on his Roku Box as well.

In both cases we own our own modems and don't pay for rentals.

They all offer high speed packages over phone lines and Rogers cable but you don't deal with those companies at all for billing and tech support.

We're both very happy with these services and they offer some pretty attractive bundles.

Also I kept my old phone number when I signed up and ported it to the new provider. All it takes is a little foresight and the ability to follow instructions and in the end I saved a bundle over Bell.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The only problem is with the modem. He pays for high speed internet. It's just getting him to swap the modem is difficult. He's of the attitude that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That and he;s also got a weird tech friend who thinks he knows more than he actually does. As for a landline. We just use a Magic Jack. It hasn't rang in 2 years! We've got a very old and cheap Rogers package for our 2 cell phones. They keep trying to get us to change but it ain't gonna happen! Our cell fee is the same as it was 8 years ago. Less than $50 for 2 phones, can't remember all the details but we love it.
As for the internet thing, they live up in Buckhorn and have some way of using this internet here, pipe it up to Buckhorn through the phone lines and get what they think is high speed up there. He has a computer down here, running XP no less, that he controls from up north. You should see all the crazy splitters and things downstairs.
Ths modem predates household wirelss. He actually has 1 cable coming from the modem to a hub. From there cables run to various points in the house and also to a wireless as well as to some gadget that connects to a phone line system so that they can get internet up north. I think this is doing things the hard way.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Honestly it doesn't matter if he's on cable or DSL, as long as there's a phone line and a cable connection inside the house you can provision Dry Loop DSL or split the cable with ease. Just contact the providers I listed and let them tell you your limitations.

Whatever your idiot landlord thinks is high speed doesn't matter.

You should have access to at least one cable pair on the phone line inside the house and Bell has installed fibe pretty much everywhere in the GTA by now so you should be able to get at least 40 to 50 mbits per second as long as you have access to the demarc inside or outside the house.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question