Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get a new keyboard. I currently have a Yamaha P-155 but I'm looking for something with more voices/layering abilities. Specifically I want to be able to record and loop multiple layers on top of each other. I'm not looking for a midi i.e., I don't want to have to hook it up to a laptop. I want it to be a standalone where I can record say a bass sound, then loop it back and play strings on top of it etc. I don't care much about being able to edit sounds after recording, although it would be really cool to be able to record a sequence in one voice and then play it back in different voices.

Looking for:

-88 keys
-decent weighted feel, but doesn't have to be quite as good as the p-155
-decent number of voices, doesn't need to be in the thousands but at least ~100
-Can record/layer 10+ voices/tracks
-I value simplicity in design. I don't want a bunch of extra bells and whistles. For example I really like the simple, sleek layout of the key lab-88. It lacks some of the features I need though so it's a no-go

Currently the Yamaha MM8, MOXF8, and Roland FA-08 look like decent contenders. Any other recommendations?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The MOXF8 would have more capabilities than the MM8-- but the MM8 does look pretty good for nearly half the price of the MOXF8. If you're more interested in simplicity than capabilities, the MM8 should be good.

I have no experience with any of Roland's models, but others have said many good things about them, so the FA-08 should also be a good choice. I know that some people on other forums who've been staunch Yamaha supporters have been vocal in praising certain Roland models and their user interfaces as compared to the user interfaces on Yamaha's models.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you're shopping around for is basically an 88 key workstation keyboard.

You should also include on your list the Casio Privia PX-360 and the PX-560 and PX-5S as well as the Korg Krome and the Roland Juno DS88.

While some of these may lack full song sequencing onboard capability this is something you could easily compensate for using a computer as a sequencer or if you are absolutely dead set against using a computer then you could always spend an extra $150 and buy a Tascam stndalone 8 track audio recorder.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Pacific

Welcome to the forum! Without knowing what budget you have in mind, it's a difficult question to answer. If you have a few grand to spend, I'd recommend looking at the Korg Kronos, or if you are on more of a budget the Korg Kross 88 is also a good choice. I do really like the step sequencer that the Kross has. I'm only pointing out the Korg products as I'm on a bit of a Korg kick at the moment as I'm looking at maybe buying one myself. So I feel that I should be fair to the other makers out there and say that Roland, Casio and Yamaha also have some fine products as well.

Reaction score
A belated thanks to you guys for your recommendations. I finally made a purchase, ended up going with the Roland Juno and it's amazing. I might not have come across it if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks guys!

Ask a Question