Bottom keyboard recommendations - size is critical

Reaction score
Basic midi controls, no multi-zone, but if boards like the px-s3000 or other cheaper boards are mentioned, I’d rather go for something like the Korg D1. And it has 5-pin DIN.
It’s certainly narrow and compact enough, and in my opinion, better quality than the Casios…

Reaction score
Good point. I'd forgotten about the Korg D1, also worth looking at. A bit heavier, but an action that may be preferable. (And I didn't mention Roland FP10/FP30, but Roland was already mentioned.) And like the Kawai ES110, the Korg also has the 5-pin DIN which he may prefer even if it's not required for this purpose.

Also possibly worth looking at (with 5-pin DIN MIDI) would be the Casio PX-360/PX-560, which have the older Casio action that some people prefer over their newer one... the same action as the PX-5S, but the 360/560 have the expression pedal input which may be a plus, though again, would not necessarily be a requirement as he doesn't actually want more pedals in the rig, and if he changes his mind about that later, there are other solutions as I mentioned. (The Kawai ES110, Korg D1, Roland FP10/30, Yamaha P45/121/125, and Casios below the PX-S3000 also lack expression pedal inputs.)

Reaction score
It is not a $200 stand ( https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiderProBK--k-and-m-spider-pro-black in Oz that's $600) not sure where you got that from! And it's a stand that suits how I want to set up live...How this de-generated into a debate over a stand is beyond me???
No need to get snaky my friend.

I simply agree with Gary that if you love your current keyboards, why go to the trouble (and expense) of buying a new one, THEN learning the UI, THEN reprogramming all your patches, THEN (possibly) changing your workflow, just because one doesn’t fit on a stand?

It wasn’t me that quoted the stand price - but I guarantee you any new stand will be cheaper than the keyboard. Without amortising the time investment associated with the aspects I mentioned above.

I have been doing this for a little while and my thoughts were based out of a genuine attempt to support a practical solution.

No debate intended. You’re free to ignore my advice - however if you just want validation without any divergent opinion there’s not much point going to an online forum for suggestions.

Reaction score
M-Audio Hammer 88, not as compact as the D1, but not as deep as the PC4 (depth PC4 37,4 cm, Hammer 88 28,2 cm).
Multizone, 5-pin MIDI OUT, USB, etc.
Cheap and good action, too.

The Hammer 88 Pro has MIDI IN as well, in addition to MIDI OUT and USB. More expensive, though.

Reaction score
No need to get snaky my friend.

I simply agree with Gary that if you love your current keyboards, why go to the trouble (and expense) of buying a new one, THEN learning the UI, THEN reprogramming all your patches, THEN (possibly) changing your workflow, just because one doesn’t fit on a stand?

It wasn’t me that quoted the stand price - but I guarantee you any new stand will be cheaper than the keyboard.
There's been an abundance of snark in this thread. But just to address some of what you said here, the premise "if you love your current keyboards" is not a given. He has not actually indicated that he loves the PC4. OTOH, he does seem to love his $600 stand.

To the extent that you're looking at this from the angle of what's cheaper, remember, he doesn't own the PC4, he is renting/leasing it so we don't know what the costs associated with changing the keyboard would entail. (Though regardless, his focus here may be more on assembling the rig that gives him the most satisfaction than on finding the most cost-effective solution.)

I understand your perspective... As I said in my first response, my inclination would have been to look at it from the stand side, that was my starting point as well.

Apparently the PX-560 is no longer available (dealer advised yesterday).
Yeah, I mentioned in my previous post that the PX-360/PX-560 could be worth looking at, but I forgot you had previously mentioned ts unavailability. It looks like the PX-360 availability may be better, though, and still might so the trick for you (though again no expression pedal).

Reaction score
Hey Scott,

I don’t do snaky. Or “snarky”. You should know me well enough by now mate. Life’s too short to get upset by comments in online fora, or indeed to attempt to upset others. I confess I do like Snarky Puppy.

OP said something about “needing to divest” himself of a “cool combo” in his initial post. Well, I simply don’t see it that way. If I thought my combo of keyboards was cool I wouldn’t be subbing one out if the only thing pushing me in that direction was the inadequacy of a stand, for all the reasons stated above. Gary’s advice was bang on target. The type of stand and the actual cost involved is minutiae as far as I’m concerned. There’s plenty more I could add - but the point is made. If I didn’t say so I’m doing myself and OP an injustice. He did say “suggest anything”.

Now if OP is hell bent on getting a new keyboard - far be it from me or anyone else to stand in his way. And specs of new keyboards is far more your department than mine so I’m happy to let you have at it.

I pride myself on usually having only one crack at each thread. However since OP addresssed me directly (as you have), I think it’s courteous to respond in kind. If I get the sense he’s trolling me - I’ll stop.

Ask a Question