Connect My DGX 630 to Cubase 5

Reaction score
Just got my Cubase 5. And I'm wondering, since I have no freaking clue about how this thing works.

- I got a midi cable that I can connect to my keyboard and directly to my computer, windows 7, and all I want to do is to be able to record what I'm playing from my DGX 630. Is it just to connect the cable and that's it?
I have had problems with this before. Therefore, I ask first.

And what is VST instruments? Do I need them?

And someone heard of East West Symphonic Orchestra vst plugin?

Thank you guys! :)

Reaction score
You have to install a driver for your keyboard/cable. Then, you must find the Device setings on Cubase and look at Midi and select your cable name as input.
VST instruments are virtual instruments, they are .dll files that can be loaded in Cubase or other DAW software, and you can set a midi sequence to be played by a VST instrument.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Air Bear.

When you say "record what I'm playing" - are you aware that the midi cable will only let you record "midi data" - information such as when and how hard you press a key and when you release it?

VST instruments - the sounds are generated by software in the computer, not your keyboard. You usually trigger them using midi from a keyboard (or drum pad - or from within the software itself).

I have (and use) the free PLAY version of East West's Orchestra. It's one of a number of sample playback libraries. I use it for strings - often doubled with another string VST.

String lines thirty seconds in are VSTs. (Pizz are from a hardware keyboard) sustained lines are some combination of East West, Sonivox and the "AllOfMyStrings" sound from Native Instrument's Kore library - they'll be in Kontakt. All just simple lines played in real time. If the strings are too exposed (like a solo violin line) the current batch of VSTs do a good job.

Apologies to out of work string players.

Reaction score
Thank you both for your answers, and for welcoming me, goz211.

I'm aware of the midi-data, that's what I really ment :)

So I just need to install the drivers to my keyboard and fix the setup in Cubase and then I can play with my keyboard?
Do I need these VST instruments to get different sounds in cubase, like piano sound or guitar sound?

I'm actually interested in movie soundtracks like what Hans Zimmer is composing. I would like to try something similar. Make my own songs. Play something on my keyboard and maybe put some strings over.. ANY TIPS?

Reaction score
Of course, you can use VST i you want different sounds. Some are free, some aren't. But be aware that if you're using them in too many tracks, your computer CPU will be very busy.

You must close all other programs when doing it. My computer crashed some times because of Cubase.

Cubase is too big software for what you're trying to accomplish. I've heard that CakeWalk is a little bit easier to use for recording midi. Another option is FL Studio, but FL Studio is used mostly by DJ's who want to mixes and work with loops.

Reaction score
Of course, you can use VST i you want different sounds. Some are free, some aren't. But be aware that if you're using them in too many tracks, your computer CPU will be very busy.

You must close all other programs when doing it. My computer crashed some times because of Cubase.

Cubase is too big software for what you're trying to accomplish. I've heard that CakeWalk is a little bit easier to use for recording midi. Another option is FL Studio, but FL Studio is used mostly by DJ's who want to mixes and work with loops.

Okey, I can see the problem with the computer. I have had Vista and then I used Adobe Premiere pretty much and I can tell - it was slow! What specifications has your PC?

I have Windows 7 and one of these new SSD hard drives, 120Gb - much faster now.

Reaction score
I'm actually interested in movie soundtracks like what Hans Zimmer is composing. I would like to try something similar. Make my own songs. Play something on my keyboard and maybe put some strings over.. ANY TIPS?

I find his stuff is quite tuneful - plenty of slow moving melody. I used to confuse him and Michael Kamen. How's your music theory - can you busk round a chord progression using "open" voice chords? Space your notes out instead of close triads?

If so - why don't you get going by making up a single line melody and fill it out with some strings chording away in the background.

There used to be a Kore soundpack which had interesting percussion sounds mapped all over the keyboard. You could make up a cinematic percussion track just playing in real time. Eaat West might have something (sample based) in the catalogue.

Melody on a French Horn, strings chording away, bass line on a cello (or a synth) - some percussive thing bubbling away underneath, few random cymbal crashes ...

be sure and post it on here so we can hear your efforts.

Orchestral VSTs - the Garritan one is around £100, East West do various versions of theirs. Kirk Hunter has cracking ones but last time I checked you still needed Kontakt to run them. Sonivox did a symphonic brass DVI and a strings one - both cut down versions of their expensive libraries.

Synth - try OP-X

Percussion - I'd use samples for speed but you see people drumming away on Youtube (using a keyboard). Give it a go and see how you get on.

Reaction score
Okey, I can see the problem with the computer. I have had Vista and then I used Adobe Premiere pretty much and I can tell - it was slow! What specifications has your PC?

I have Windows 7 and one of these new SSD hard drives, 120Gb - much faster now.
CPU: AMD Athlon 2.39 GHz
RAM: 1 GB (shared because I have onboard video card so right now I'm using 896 MB)

I guess with a dual core and more RAM it would run better...

Ask a Question