Connecting Midi controller keyboard to Roland RS-5 synth

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone able to advise please? I am totally new to the world of MIDI. Will shortly be the owner of an Alesis Q88 Midi Controller Keyboard. Basically, all I want it to be able to do (via MIDI cables) is play the preset sounds I have created on my Roland RS-5 synth, (which will sit on the stand above it and not be played) on the larger Alesis Controller Keyboard. Is this easy to do?

Please could someone advise on the setup and cabelling. I have not a single idea about MIDI, just what I want to do.

Many Thanks.
Justin.

Reaction score
Also will it be a question of plug and play or will I have to press a million buttons at each gig? Thanks in anticipation guys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It should be simply a matter of hooking the MIDI OUT on the controller to the MIDI IN on the Roland and setting the Alesis to Master and Roland to Slave in the MIDI settings.

As for how much control you'll have over the buttons and functions of the Roland from the controller will depend on what signals are being sent and how configurable both units are. You may have to dive deeply into the manuals to solve some of the issues.

Plug N Play doesn't really enter into it. That's a PC thing, not a MIDI thing.

Gary

Ask a Question