Converting to Apple From PC. Need DAW recommendations.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Did you ever give Tracktion Waveform Free a try? It won't cost a penny to give it a whirl.

Reaction score
My suggestion is to try GarageBand first. It's free, comes with a LOT of free VSTs and the workflow is very similar to Logic Pro. This will server two purposes:

a) Check if you can get confortable with GarageBand/Logic Pro workflow
b) Check if you actually need more than what GarageBand offers.

Victor Espina

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Garageband CANNOT output to MIDI
Yep, so you already know you need more than just what it provides.

I'm not clear on whether you've actually got a Mac yet, or are still just working things out on paper before you pull the trigger?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have the mac. I've been working with it on alternating days to get everything going that I expect from a computer.

Still trying to perform a successful MIDI recording with Logic Pro.

Have not even begun to map the control surfaces of 4 synths and 3 drum machines into a template yet.

Have been dealing with basic functions like virus protection and simple file management and media playback and manipulation while trying to master the stupid interface.

It's just too much to deal with daily.

I'm working at my own pace and my objectives are now pretty clear.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have the mac. I've been working with it on alternating days to get everything going that I expect from a computer.

Still trying to perform a successful MIDI recording with Logic Pro.

Have not even begun to map the control surfaces of 4 synths and 3 drum machines into a template yet.

Have been dealing with basic functions like virus protection and simple file management and media playback and manipulation while trying to master the stupid interface.

It's just too much to deal with daily.

I'm working at my own pace and my objectives are now pretty clear.

Gary ;)

For MIDI recording just add an External MIDI track, choose your MIDI controller and MIDI zone and press RECORD.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.55.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.55.36.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.56.22.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.56.22.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 6

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've done all that.

I'm stuck somewhere between recording a loop and recording a MIDI track.

Still inconsistent results.

Reaction score
After getting hacked last year and spending a year trying to save my Linux install I finally bit the bullet and bought a mac mini today.

It's an m2 model with 8 gigs of shared RAM and a 512 gig SDD.

I need recommendations on a decent but not overkill DAW, that supports multiple MIDI hardware instruments as well as VSTis. (But mainly hardware friendly.)

I'm migrating from Cakewalk on the PC so something with a similar workflow might be nice.

If it can import cakewalk music files it would blow my mind but I'm just wishing out loud there.

Tried most of the free options on Linux and none of seemed useful or stable.

Looking to spend $200 or less with free updates for eternity if possible.

And I'd rather not clutter up the virgin machine with a boatload of trial installations either.

If you use a particular Apple DAW, please tell us which one and why you consider it to be the best choice.

Also any tips on what other software I may not be able to live without would be very welcome as well.

Now I'm off to youtube to see what there is to see in videoland.

Thanks for listening,

Gary ;)
That Mac mini is a great price for some great hardware .I switched from building PC’s for gaming to an iMac in 2011, never looked back. Enjoy

Reaction score
Bxxgxxr.
My steam powered laptop was loading software earlier and was frozen when I went back to it.
Left it a while and went back later to try and wake it up and sparks flew when I touched it.
I swear if I had hair it would have stood up.
Unplugged it and lid the closed.
Tomorrows another day.
Meanwhile the Apple website becons just in case

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you need it to do music and video, then by all means go apple.

If all you need it for is email and browsing save yourself a bundle and get a chromebook.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheers Gary
I need a machine capable of editing 4k video, running Photoshop and my Genealogy programmes.

Stuck with either Apple or Windows.

As I use my iPad for most tasks, including editing phone footage & we already have the software on my Wife’s iMac, so we save a few hundred £’s there.

Yeah, its a weak and feeble set of excuses but I do not like Windows and Chrome, well my Android phone and tablet experiences were not good.

Fingers crossed the Laptop boots I do not really want to shell out £2000, which seems a hell of a shedload of cash but a similar performance Windows laptop is only a few hundred £’s behind the Macbook

Reaction score
If you need it to do music and video, then by all means go apple.

If all you need it for is email and browsing save yourself a bundle and get a chromebook.

Gary ;)

I am super fan of Chromebooks. I got one for my daughter and another for my girlfriend and not only are they really happy with their laptops, but I am the happiest one since I haven't to provide any more tech support ever since ! LOL

Reaction score
A similair DAW for cakewalk (sonar) is bandlab.
If you have a license for'a cakewalk'product such as Sonar 1,2 or 3 then you can get a free download.
( i'hope'you can still get it'today)
FYI i switched to bandlab in 2018 and this year on jan 4th 2023 i'got another free renewal for one year.
I don't know if this software will run on MAC
so good luck and stay save.
mris
everybody can install Cakewalk just register first on Bandlab then download Cakewalk from Bandlab website and install.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're preaching to the heathens here. I've already committed 100% to LPX and no longer require alternatives.

Frankly, bandlab may be free for now, but their shareholders aren't going to keep it that way forever either.

Nothin ain't free and I don't need no weirdassed adware/spyware or whatever their business model is supposed to be.

I can't see them operating more than a few years without monetizing somehow.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question