Cubase issues

Reaction score
I'm playing around a little bit with Cubase, trying to understand the basics of it. I have my keyboard connected with a midi-thingie into my USB port, so that I can fix the sounds in Cubase.
What I'm getting slightly annoyed at, is that when I play on my keyboard, there is a delay before it comes out of my computer speakers, which can be up to almost a second sometimes. And usually it messes up my rythm, so that a riff with only straight notes can turn out like shuffle when passing Cubase...

I guess this has something to do with the communication between Cubase and my keyboard, any help would be appreciated :)

(I have a free version of Cubased called Cubase SX, if that matters)

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! You have just entered the world of latency :)

I can make this a super long post but I'll start off basic until I know exactly how we can help you.

First - Drivers and communication between your computer and keyboard. You should look into using ASIO drivers and not windows drivers.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Direct Draw and WMD drivers have too many protocols to deal with. I have only seen very few examples where the ASIO drivers didn't help or didn't work.

Second - MIDI can be transmitted through USB fairly well as it isn't too bad on bandwith (after all, MIDI is just simple number commands). However, if you are using memory intensive applications (like Cubase - even though it is the free version), the computer starts to lag with all the functions it has to process. Two things to think about here - How good is your computer and how much work are you throwing into that program (in this case Cubase). Also, USB isn't going to cut it if you decide to record analog signals from your board into your computer - just too much bandwidth for the USB to handle. Which leads me to...

Third - If you are having problems now, I can guarantee they won't get better as you expand your setup and operations (recording more tracks, triggering more samples, etc.). Eventually you will have to start looking at outboard DSP devices like Presonus, Digidesign, Mackie Onyx, etc. and running firewire.

Having said all that, when you download ASIO drivers, you need to set a sample/buffer rate. This can be tricky but not too bad. Here's basically how it works. If you record at 96,000 khz then you need to have enough buffer for the computer to catch up. The more buffers, the more you lag (latency) but the cleaner the sound. As you lessen the buffers your latency improves but, if don't have enough buffers then you will start to hear pops and static as your computer isn't translating the entire signal correctly.

These are just the basics. It works, for the most part, the same for MIDI as well as analog audio. MIDI is more forgiving as it is only receiving and sending numbers to your keyboard. These principles apply both to Mac and PC. Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Ideally, you want to get your latency to 15ms or less.

This is the reason why I won't use a computer live to trigger samples (and the very real scare of a computer error and shut down in the middle of a song too!!). Computers are great for recording, mixing, working with samples and even arranging but you have fight too much for anything beyond that. Latency used to be a sever problem but as computers and drivers and outboard equipment has gotten better, so also have the latency issues. See if this helps and if not we'll see if theres some other options to try and get you up and running!!

Reaction score
It surely feels good when I don't understand the very first thing the manual tells me do to -.-*

"Generally, you would always enter the audio configuration menu and select ASIO-> ASIO4ALL v2."

Where do I find this "audio configuration menu"? :/

And my Device Menu only shows my speakers, which are Unavailable...

Reaction score
Look in your start menu then programs for ASIO4ALLv2. When you bring this up you should find that configuration menu.

If you are looking for the audio config in on your comp, it would help to know what OS you are running and what version (Mac OSX 10.? - Windows XP/Vista). Or, are you talking about audio config in Cubase?

As far as your speakers - how are they attached? Are you running regular computer speakers (I hope not) or are you running something different?

Reaction score
Start --> Programs --> ASIO4ALL 2v. Shows me the following options:

ASIO4ALL 2v Instruction Manual
ASIO4ALL 2v Off-line Settings
ASIO4ALL 2v Website
Uninstall

None of these looks like "Audio Configuration" to me, the closest one would be the Off-line Settings, but not close enough.

I think they refer to the computers audio configuration, and I'm running Windows XP with regular computer speakers (although I'm using a headset, but the speakers are the ones appearing in the Device menu)

Reaction score
You want ASIO4ALL Offline Settings. Then, in Cubase, you have to specify the ASIO drivers. I'm running Cubase SX3 so this may be a little different but - Open Cubase > Devices (on the top menus) > Device Setup.

Let me know if that works for ya :)

Reaction score
I'll assume your on PC.

Firstly, what soundcard are you using?

If it comes with it's own ASIO drivers, then stay well away from ASIO4ALL.

If it doesn't then get a decent soundcard with ASIO drivers would be my advice. Something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is a good beginners card. Can be had for cheap on eBay.

This card will run Cubase very nicely and will provide you with good MIDI and Audio In/Outs.

Cubase + consumer soundcards (onboard sound) = dodgy.

Reaction score
Good point!!

ASIO4All is applications that can use ASIO driver but doesn't have them or, if a company has stopped making updates. Always use the ASIO drivers that came with the product unless you just can't!!

Good catch on that one :)

Reaction score
Firstly, what soundcard are you using?

Ah, yeah.... Soundcard... I actually doubt that I have any soundcard at all >.<.... That might be causing some problems ^.^

Or, well... I don't really know what a soundcard looks like inside the computer, but if it's supposed to sit at the back of the computer, like the graphics card and network card, I'm pretty sure I don't have one.
But if it's supposed to be somewhere else, like, in the front or so, I don't know if I have one or not :p

Reaction score
If your PC makes sounds then it has a soundcard :)

I'd say you would have onboard sound if you aren't aware that you have one!

Look at getting one if you can. If not, then Terr-or Form's advice is what you should be getting into. But bear in mind that using onboard sound with cubase is kind of like dropping a Lawnmower engine into a Ferrari chassis.

Reaction score
Yeah, built in onboard sound is great for latency.

You don't necessarily have to upgrade the soundcard in your computer. You could opt for a recording interface like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-1814-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=709201

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...eWire-Interface-with-192kHz-Output?sku=180311

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Saffire-FireWire-Audio-Interface-?sku=245020

You can use a USB interface but I would recommend firewire anyday. They are a bit pricier but you will be happy that you did in the long run if you are serious about recording and using VST's and softsynths.

One last thing - those links aren't my recommendations. They only serve to get you started in looking into different options. What you eventually get should take some research to try and find the units that would suit your needs and allow you to expand. I use the Onyx 400f. A lot of people like and dislike that unit and I have found it to be wonderful what I do in the studio (could use more ins and outs though but I'm always complaining about that on all of my equipment :) ).

Reaction score
Well, I've actually just used Cubase to try and get some standard knowledge of how things works, the latency issues were just a bit annoying.

We've just started writing songs in my band, so I'm not really in that great need of getting the best possible recording stuff yet. And when we do, I will probably stick to the sounds that I have on my keyboard, since I don't want to rely on a compuer when playing.

In short: I'm not really in need of buying anything to fix this problem yet, since I'm not sure how much I will use it. And when it comes to recording, I noticed (I think, not that sure...) that the delay was mainly when the signals were going from Cubase and to my speakers, so there is not really that bad delay at the actual recording.

Sorry for getting you involved in the first place, when I wasn't really even in need of it :(, was just playing around a bit, trying to understand the basics...

Reaction score
Does that mean that I didn't express myself very clearly, or that you don't see why I started this thread at all? :p

Reaction score
No, your wishy washy is hard to keep up with and I can't see for one second how you can be serious with music when all you do is ask questions all the while seeming that you can't research a little.

Keep the sounds in your keyboard - YES!!!
If you want to record - make the leap and try to understand!!!

Here is no fewer than about 10 years worth of advice and research already done for you and it should only take you about three months to read and get on track.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

My questions marks were because I can't quite figure out if you are asking questions because you are testing the waters or if you really need the info. It's very hard when you ask questions that would take no less than 15 minutes of easy search. Every question that I post links for you is a quick search SO YOU DON'T HAVE TOO!!!

I'm just trying to help but you are unable to be helped methinks!!

Reaction score
Ohh.... I'm really sorry that I forgot to search around a bit on google or something to find some answers to my question before posting it here, I'm sorry, that won't happen again...

I did some searching now, and I've read through that link you posted, found a few things that might be of use. Unfortenatly, I don't have my keyboard at home atm (I only have one keyboard, that I need to use both home and at my bands rehearsals, and I really don't want to carry it around in both directions at every rehearsal, so it tends to stay there sometimes).
But when I get my keyboard home, I will try some of the stuff I found... And if it works, I'm truly sorry for the trouble I might have caused.

The reason to why I don't want to buy anything to fix my Cubase latency problems is mainly 2 reasons:

1: I'm in a very tight budget atm, can't really afford to buy anything at all...
2: I've had really bad experiences with buying new computer hardware lately, I've bought 2 Graphics cards, which none of them have worked. So I'm pretty afraid of buying a sound card atm...

I really appreciate your help, though. Even though I've been trying to run Cubase on an old and quite crappy PC without a real soundcard, and through bad-quality computer speakers, you've still tried to help me, which I really do appreciate a lot.

I will try and learn from my mistakes, and do some research before asking on the forums next time, I hope you forgive me for this time.

Reaction score
It's no problem man, I just get a little frustrated because I'm trying to explain something but you may not understand the basics of what I'm getting at. It's not that I think you are uncapable or dumb (cause I don't think that at all) it's just that you have to learn to walk before you learn to run.

I was in the same position as you and it was because of the many forums that I learned what I needed to do to get to my goal. As for the actual equipment, they left that up to me.

I'm always willing to help, I only ask that you have a look around and if you have questions about certain equipment setups or how to set that stuff up, anyone on the forums is more than willing to help and even research a little to help you better understand where we are coming from.

No hard feelings and I apologize for getting a little steamed.

Reaction score
It's OK, everyone is allowed to be a little angry sometimes, as long as it doesn't start a fight ;)

I've always had a hard time with the walking process, even though I know that it's necessary for running. It's just that I really don't want to buy anything atm, since I can't afford it, and I don't yet know if/when it will be used.

I will do some research on this, and try to learn more about MIDI, since it really feels like there's quite a lot of opportunities to be found there. When I get to know the basics, and hopefully a little more than just the basics, I might have better understanding on how and when I will use it, more than just playing around at home with funny sounds in Cubase :p

Reaction score
Just got my keyboard back home again, after doing some research to solve this problem. And to my surprise, when I connect my keyboard and start cubase, and choose the sounds that had tons of latency before... All of the latency is gone :O

The sounds actually come out of my computer headsets at the same time as I press the keys on the keyboard, and no problems with rhythm either, I'm really surprised myself that I actually could solve this without buying anything :O

Thanks for the help!! :D

Ask a Question