Cubase problem

Reaction score
Hi guys am having a problem with my cubase and its driving me crazy for past couple of months.

Everytime i would record my guitar throught cubase it would not work, now the thing that happens is as soon as i open an new channel (mono or stereo) a big SHHHHHHHH noise comes up and keep on adding on top which i dont know how to get rid off. So basicly what ever has to do with recording from the microphone output that happens. And if i record thought my korg SP-100 or M-Audio midi there would be no problem delays or noises what so ever.
Now this problem showed up after i changed the sound cards buffer size inside the cubase before that the recording from the microphone output worked perfectly fine (but again am not sure if that could be the problem) what i have done is i made the size from 5520 to 520 which fixed the problem i have with my midi controller, basicly i had really big latency when i was using my keyboards to run with VST's and by changing the buffer size it fixed the latency problem i had and i was really happy :D untill the next thing that shows up is the recording problem :mad:. I have been trying for months to fix this, going thought the Cubase manual, reading, studying and nothing seemed to help me find the solution to my problem, or am just dumb enough not to see it :cool:.
I also tried putting in back to normal as it was thinking that would solve my problem but nothing happen. And if i record with any other program everything is perfectly fine.

P.S. Am using CUBASE SX3, the sound card is onboard its an 8channel audio soundcard, RealteK HD, the motherboard is ASUS P5Q3 its a really strong pc for my needs, if more details needed please ask and i will let you know.

Reaction score
Hello over there in Cyprus from Scotland. I'm a long time Cubase user and I'll do my best to get you going.

A question (1) and a suggestion (2).

(1) Have I understood your post - are plugging your guitar into the microphone input of your PC's soundcard - the one on the motherboard?

(2) Cubase likes hardware that runs ASIO drivers.

Before I advise you to spend any money on a PCI or external audio box, try downloading the ASIO4all drivers for your system. Record some audio with a microphone - not your guitar - even a cheapie headset will do - and post back.

http://www.asio4all.com/

I did a search and I think the site above has the most up to date versions.

Reaction score
Hey there goz21 and hi you too,
yes its a on-board sound card but the thing is that i bought this pc not long ago and its brand new, now the trickier thing is that for years i was suffering with pc's coz i didnt have money, could not afford to buy a good pc, and with my old pc with some retareded sound card that had only 2 jacks mic, headphones, worked perfectly fine i mean no delay/latency with MIDI controller and recs, and then suddenly when i bought this new lets say MONSTER :eek: i had to set everything from scratch. (in case your wandering it was a celeron 1,8Ghz with 512mb ram, yeah i was actually composing there for 2 years :( ).

Well as i said theres no matter of what i actually connect, as soon as i open the channel everything goes to hell, i mean SHHHH that keeps up-grading/building-up - sound on a sound if you get what i mean? I know this is a forum for keyboards but its doesnt matter i mean still would like to connect my korg sp-100 and record straight away from it to pc with no midi, so i could get that nice classical sound :).
Yes am using the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver - and with the twicks i mentioned earlier in the first post, i made the
-Total Input Latency: 82.540
-Total Output Latency: 11,791

But am actually connected from guitar (or piano) to pedal to pc (also my pedal is connected to the amplifier in the same time so i could have better awareness of what am doing) which actually doesn't make a difference at all.

Reaction score
(1) What operating system and what's the PC's spec?

(2) Also download and run this and see if it's showing any odd spikes in the output:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

(3) We need to see if it's a Cubase problem or your hardware. Try making a recording using the mic input and Audacity or the Sound Recorder in Start - All Programs - Accesories - Entertainment If you are in Windows XP.

Reaction score
hmmm I have Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 2GB ram -1333Mhz, 1TB HHD, GTS 250 1BG yes windows XP.
hehe nice explanation there thanks but am pretty good with pc's also a programmer :p
3. Mate my recordings in Audacity work perfectly fine, but ill try and download now the DPC.

Reaction score
Not good. Sounding like it's an issue with Cubase SX3. I think Steinberg stopped supporting it but you could try a post on the forums at Steinberg.net.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Cubase in case something has become corrupted.

How are you plugging into your Realtek Card? Describe the cables and connections.

Reaction score
Hmmm an normal guitar cable into the pedal and from pedal the the big jack extension that goes to small with a small jack cable on both sides into the pc, same for the keyboard, yes obviously something corrupted in Cubase SX3 no my question is if i reinstall it will i lose all of my VST's - meaning would i have to reinstall them or will the cubase re-locate them automatically and add them to the VST program list, coz the only thing am worried about is my VST's EZdrummer which i busted my ass to install and update the each patch of the drum kit.

Reaction score
VSTs - EXDrummer should still be there even if you uninstall and reinstall Cubase.

Cables - guitar - 1/4 inch jack to pedal input

What sizes are the "big jack extension" and "small jack cable"?

Are you going from your guitar pedal into your PC via the 1/8 inch mic imput?

What did you record when it worked in Audacity? The same guitar + pedal setup or a mic?

Reaction score
yeah 1/4 inch jack to the pedal input, yes from pedal to pc with 1/8 inch input, hmmm but it doesn't make a difference, i mean the fact is that it was working before so yeah.
Yup guitar + pedal setup.

So i guess ill have to re-install cubase, but one question before i do it.
when i reinstall it do i just rerun all the vst to be visible in the cubase or there are all there? Because never really re-installed cubase.

Reaction score
Copy the contents of the Cubase VST folder to another location and rename it - just in case. It'll be the ones with the .dll files.

Reinstall Cubase - it should have left the VST folder there as it should recognise it is "being used by other applications."

Good luck.

Not sure about guitar straight into the 1/8 inch mic input. I've only ever got it working with a microphone. You mention you were able to do this before? Was it on the last PC or this one?

Reaction score
Sorry for a week absence but was very busy at work, anw yes man I worked on my old pc and also on my new one perfectly fine untill I changed the settings I mentioned above. Alright thanks for help will try it out in cople of days (2-3) for am way too busy at the moment. And will let you know what the outcome will be. Also will be a pain in the ass assigning my pc-keyboard with all the macros again oh well :p

Ask a Question