DGX-670

Reaction score
You will easily adapt to the GHS piano action on the DGX, it will probably find it will be a lot heavier but far more responsive.

If you cannot wait until December take a look at a Korg EX20.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion. I think I will just get the black one.....delivery for white ones is in the "unforeseeable future" I was told there was a fire in one of the yamaha factories........

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't purchased a keyboard or any music gear since about 1989/1990. Back then, I owned a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano and I used it to explore music writing--mostly piano music, so the lack of a pitch-bend and mod-wheel was only occasionally a problem.

I sold all my gear about 20 years ago, but lately have been itching to get back into music writing. I've been waiting for Yamaha to announce the successor to the DGX-660, which already looked pretty good to me. The 670 seems to be even better, but unfortunately, although it does have a pitch-bend wheel, it still has no mod wheel. My understanding is that the mod wheel is crucial for controlling dynamic expression in most modern orchestral libraries (software libraries in a DAW, which I would want to control via the DGX 670).

I noticed that the DGX 670 manual mentions (pages 14 and 77) using one of the 3 pedals (e.g. damper or sostenuto?) to control modulation on the DGX 670, but I can't tell if those pedals are on/off switches or if they send true continuous controller information like an actual mod wheel would. Does anyone here know?

Assuming these pedals do not send continuous controller information, is there any way I could add an inexpensive external mod-wheel or similar expression control to work in conjunction with the DGX 670? Maybe an external fader set or something that could be assigned to send the mod-wheel continuous controller information? Would I have to merge its MIDI output with the DGX's before running the merged set into my DAW, or would it be enough for them both to be set to output on the same MIDI channel?

Oh how I wish the DGX 670 had included a mod-wheel!

Reaction score
Found this video today & what a fantastic demo(particularly between 6:19 thru 7:31)....so ramped up to receive this keyboard!

Hi! Have you received yours? Mine should arrive next week! I am so excited BUT a bit worried that I can't play anything at all as I am so used to the psr 413 which has very easy soft keys!
The video you posted was great! I wonder if there are courses to take to do what the demostrador did.....?

Reaction score
Durecu
See my response to your thread.

I moved from synth action to Yamaha’s GHS on my DP, and adapted very quickly to the heavier keybed.

Do keep a watch on the Yamaha website for the DGX as they should add in an audio&video tab that has tutorial resources as per their other keyboards.

Reaction score
I am considering the DGX-670. As you might guess from my username, I am a beginner and I have a beginner's question regarding this keyboard. Can anyone tell me if I can assign certain instruments to a "bank" so I can access them faster and more easily than scrolling through all the options on the screen? I've tried to find this in the manual, but the manual gets into the weeds pretty quick and does not explain if this simple function is available. Is this done through the registration memory? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome TC.

Yamaha are the world’s largest manufacturer of musical instruments but by far the worst that I have encountered for the quality of their manuals. Looking through the manual there does not appear to be any method of saving or grouping instruments into a Favourites bank.

On a DGX the process is to save a layered group of Sounds and the applicable Style to one of the Registration banks, if you look at page 80 of the manual it will guide you through what you will need to do. It is the use of the Registration banks that give quick access to a ready programmed setup specific to a song or a genre.

The 670 is a brand new design rather than a simple update and they are very few currently available.

Is it a Digital Piano with some arranger features that you want?

Reaction score
Biggles,

Thanks for your reply. I don't necessarily need all the arranger functions, but I would use them if I have them. What I really need is a keyboard with a wide variety of instruments that I can access on the fly in live situations. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the simple "piano-organ-clav-strings-harpsichord" digital pianos and the all-out arranger keyboards. The 670 seems to be the closest thing to meet my needs that is available where I live. Sound like I can get what I need by using the registration banks.

Reaction score
Very true.

There are really only the DGX, Casio PX S3000 and Korg’s XE20 that offer similar features with 88 hammer action keys.

All other Arrangers up to $1500 only have 61 synth action keys with the exception of the Yamaha EW410 with its 76 keys.

Without arranger features there is the Korg Kross 88 and Roland Juno DS 88 both of which would give quick single touch change of instruments that have been saved to the Favourites banks. Note that these are the closest in price to the DGX andthat the Juno is also available in 76 key form.

Reaction score
Durecu
See my response to your thread.

I moved from synth action to Yamaha’s GHS on my DP, and adapted very quickly to the heavier keybed.

Do keep a watch on the Yamaha website for the DGX as they should add in an audio&video tab that has tutorial resources as per their other keyboards.
you ard right. I am gradually getting used to the weighted hammer keys. Very happy with it . Just wished there were tutorials / song books i could follow to maximize the benefits of having the arranger functions.

Reaction score
On the Yamaha website there is a couple of videos about the features on the prior 660 that may help

Additionally if you look at the Yamaha PSR SX700 webpage you will find an audio and video Tab, there you will find a lot of video tutorials., yes they are for a different model but you may find quite a bit of commonality in the operating systems.

Reaction score
Hi. I see that sometimes the name of the piano has a "B" at the end of its name, but noe allways. Like "DGX-670B". Does anyone know what that letter means? Because sometimes I see that B, other times not :) Thanks.

Reaction score
Sweetwater Music just let me know yesterday, 27 May, 2021, that they received a shipment of DGX670s. I’ve had an order in for a while and it’s supposed to be here Saturday. Can’t wait!

Reaction score
Sweetwater Music just let me know yesterday, 27 May, 2021, that they received a shipment of DGX670s. I’ve had an order in for a while and it’s supposed to be here Saturday. Can’t wait!
Hi Wefields, if you bought the stand as well, when you're assembling it, you need to use the widest notch ( i think its B position)for the dgx 670. Ii was not mentioned on the assembly manual of the stand....it asks you to refer to the DGX-670 manual which is hidden underneath the keyboard.
Yamaha really needs to take lesson from Ikea for assembly instructions!!
Good luck and have fun! It would be great to share tips and tricks later!!

Reaction score
Hi Wefields, if you bought the stand as well, when you're assembling it, you need to use the widest notch ( i think its B position)for the dgx 670. Ii was not mentioned on the assembly manual of the stand....it asks you to refer to the DGX-670 manual which is hidden underneath the keyboard.
Yamaha really needs to take lesson from Ikea for assembly instructions!!
Good luck and have fun! It would be great to share tips and tricks later!!
Thanks Durecu. I’ll keep that in mind, although I didn’t buy the stand yet. I’d enjoy sharing information with you. Take care!

Ask a Question