Disconnecting the connection between a board and controller...

Reaction score
Was wondering if some you might be able to help.

I'm using an M-Audio ProKeys 88sx to control a Roland Juno-Gi (which, of course, requires a midi cable connecting them). Some songs require me to use the sounds from both keyboards simultaneously (when connected, I can play on the 88 and you'll hear the 88's piano sound while also hearing the sound set on the Gi).

But then some songs require me to use the sounds from both keyboards independently (for example, playing a clean piano sound from the 88 while playing a strings accompaniment on the Gi).

Barring unplugging and replugging the midi cable as needed, does anyone know how to "turn off" the connection between the two boards while the cable is still plugged in?

As you can tell I'm new to midi (but am trying to learn as much as I can); I just can't figure this out.

Appreciate it.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Gee - looked at the manuals of both boards - no easy "MIDI RX/TX OFF" function on either board!!

Oddly both boards have the OPPOSITE funciton - i.e. to play the other keyboard but not itself.
So what you could do is:

Play the Juno as your main keyboard.

When you set the LOCAL OFF on the Juno (page 82) only the 88sx will sound, eventhough you are playing on the Juno....

Other tactics might be to change the transmit channel on the 88sx to something other than what the Juno is on.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Y-Man,

Please accept my apology for never replying to this thread and thanking you for your time and consideration in answering my question.

I have my account here set up to receive emails when someone replies to any threads I've started or commented on, but never received anything.

I was brought back to the forum today because of a private message I received from another user.

I am very, very sorry. I'm sure my "silence" appeared very rude and unappreciative from your end; but that is absolutely not the case.

Thank you, once again.

And, after reading through more of the manual during lunch breaks or free time without being at my boards, I was finally able to find the midi channel settings. :)

- Jay

Ask a Question