Expert keyboard advice needed :-)

Reaction score
Hi all

First post so apologies if I get any of the formalities wrong. I've been checking out sites like this and the level of knowledge on this one seems to be higher and more accessible than the rest so I hope people won't mind me asking for some advice.

I've recenly moved to my first house and am desperate for a decent quality keyboard.

The one that's caught my eye so far is the Yamaha DXG 630. I've used Yamaha previously and love their pianos and electric violins. This keyboard will get a lot of home use, possibly a little gig work and will be used to write songs and record using Cubase as well as a little home tutoring.

As much as I love the look of it I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions from the main compettitors that might do an even better job for the money - maybe someone could shed some light on what Korg and Roland can offer, for example.

Any suggestions, backing up my thoughts or otherwise will be extremely welcome. I'd also love to hear from those who have used or own a DXG 630.

Many thanks in advance for your help guys.

Cheers,

Mark

Reaction score
It all depends on what you need the keyboard for.

Roland and Korg have all kinds of keyboards just like Yamaha in all price ranges...
Arrangers, workstations etc. Give us a bit more details... do you need a sturdy keyboard
for giging? plenty of sounds? Styles section? Sampler option? etc etc...

It's a lot easier when you know what you want :)

Reaction score
What does a workstation mean? I am looking for one for my kids. They play southern rock and I think the main thing they would need is good piano and organ sounds. THey are used to a regualr upright piano if that helps.

Reaction score
Workstations are powerful instruments with huge capabilities. They are professional keyboards every serious player tends to have. You can split sounds, layer them, mix them with each other, apply effects, insert new sounds via samples, record your own samples etc etc... Workstations don't have a style section.

On the other hand you have Arrangers or Arranger workstations, which have a style section (left part of the keyboard controls those styles) and you play sounds on the right part.

Most of them can also split and layer sounds they are VERY limited. For example you can only layer 2 sounds, or you can't specify where one sound begins and the other ends, so these keyboards are NOT used in full bands.

Every serious musician won't take even a look at arrangers (those that play in a full band) cause like i said, they are very limiting.

Your problem is in the fact that for a great piano feel you need weighted keys (found in 88 key versions on workstations, and stage pianos), but on the other hand you would like to play some organs or hammond sounds which can't be played right on those type of keys.

What i'd suggest is a 76 key version of some workstation. They have semi-weighted keys. Not piano-ish but they're not plasticy like the keys on 90% of the arrangers or low-level-entry keyboards.

Now it all depends on how big your budget is. Are you ready to spend 1500-2000€ on a new 76key workstation (have in mind workstations are THE best keyboards you can get for music production), will you go for a stage piano (much cheaper, but brilliant piano feel) aroun 700-1500€, or get an arranger (they spread very wide...) From 100€ up to 3000€

You can go for used instruments too. Most of them are very sturdy, and keep their good shape even over the years.

Reaction score
thanks

thanks a lot!. I was about to think I wasn't going to get a reply. I will probably buy used, actually probably trade a guitar for a used keyboard. I have lots of guitars and can probably pull off a trade on Craigslist.

Sounds like I should look for something in a 76 key workstation. I heard a band the other day and was fairly impressed by the keyboard they were using. It was a nord electro 2, is that a workstation?

Reaction score
thanks a lot!. I was about to think I wasn't going to get a reply. I will probably buy used, actually probably trade a guitar for a used keyboard. I have lots of guitars and can probably pull off a trade on Craigslist.

Sounds like I should look for something in a 76 key workstation. I heard a band the other day and was fairly impressed by the keyboard they were using. It was a nord electro 2, is that a workstation?

No it's not. How should i put it... it's a stage organ/hammond/e-piano.
It has 73 semi-weighted keys.

If you're looking for used workstations take a look at these:

Newer generation:

Yamaha MOTIF ES (comes in 61/76/88 versions)
Yamaha MO (comes in 61/88 version)
Yamaha MOTIF (classic)

KORG Triton Extreme (comes in 61/76/88 versions)
KORT TR (comes in 61/76/88 versions)
KORG Triton (classic)
KORG Trinity (a bit outdated)

Roland Fantom X
(sorry but i don't know much about Rolands so only this one comes to mind)

3 Bolded keyboards are flagship keyboards those 3 companies offer. That means you won't get anything better (except newer versions like Motif XS, Korg M3 and Fantom G :D)

MO is almost the same as the Motif ES except it doesn't have a sampling option, has less sounds and keys not as good as the motif ones.

Korg TR is actually a classic triton + extra sounds from the newer extreme

Now... the rest is up to you...

P.S. Yamaha has a way better piano sound then Korgs do. Roland's pianos are also very good.

Ask a Question