From Nevadas High Desert

Reaction score
Well I didn't have the "Sisters" rapping my knuckles when I started taking piano lessons over 60 years ago, but for four years I had a rather strict teacher nonetheless. Little did I know that those lessons would help me all the way to today. I took the rock and roll band direction way back then after my first Stella six-string gave it up and I got a solid body electric. I was strickly rhythm and vocals. Lots of history between now and then but the knowledge of those dreaded lessons have served me well. It even prompted me to take some more music classes over the years. Seems the thirst for knowledge goes on. Well a few years ago I bought a Casio WK-225, and had fun with it, but it wasn't until this year that I have been forced, in a way, to take the dust cover off it and start regularly playing again. Age can often bring the wisdom of the years but it also brings problems. Mine is, so far, a mild form of arthritis especially in my left hand. This is preventing me from finger my six strings for any long periods and in particular, makes playing the 12 string almost impossible. So I'll be selling the 12 string. I am learning more and more about the WK-225 and working its sounds into the group we are putting together. From what I have read, this group seems to be friendly and none- judgemental as to what you are playing. That is a breath of fresh air on instrument forums. Thanks for listening and I'll see you around the site.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
From what I have read, this group seems to be friendly and none- judgemental as to what you are playing. That is a breath of fresh air on instrument forums.
Your perception is spot on!

I started taking piano lessons over 60 years ago
Age too is no isolation as everyone is welcome and treated equally.
Many of us are actually in your age group. Me included and painful knuckle Arthritis is prevalent with me too.
Thankfully playing keys does not cause pain.

Welcome to the forums RedBeard.

Ray

Reaction score
Welcome.

I can totally relate to your arthritis giving you problems for I to suffer and like you its more problematic in my left hand in particular my ring finger which locks so I do not always play the note I want.

So four years ago I took up keys, so you will find it very theraputic.

This forum is the best on the web, no prima donnas, no better than thou members, just a very helpful bunch of members.

Oh we do get a bit off topic, and if really lucky we do get back on topic.

Do remember we are worldwide and often a response can take time. As yu can see I am in England so a good few hours ahead of you in time.

Tip, hover over a members name and you can see when they were last online, it can come in handy if responding to a thread.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome. As I re-visit my piano playing with the electronic keyboard I am sure I will have questions, and maybe a few answers. Nice to know that many others are there to help. I am aware that the Casio WK-225 is not a Korg or high-end Yamaha but it is a fine unit that may end up as a second-tier unit for specific sounds. That is in the future. lol

Reaction score
I am an old guy who played guitar for decades and now at the bucket list age finally learning piano. On guitar age was catching up and some soreness and occasion index finger lockup and have to stop for a few seconds. But I remember my old guitar teacher Ted Greene did when get got older he drop the string gauge down on his guitars and that helped. On piano most soreness I've experienced so far is from either not taking breaks or bad/wrong technique. I have started getting arthritis in my back over last few months so doctors mainly say keep moving and doing exercise to keep thing loose and using heat. I am doing that with my hands for piano too and will run hot water on my hands before practice to get blood into the hands and if they get sore run cold water on them to reduce possible swelling. Basically listen to your body and as my teacher tells be to stop now and then and shake out your hands forearms to give them a break. But in general playing/keep moving helps so sometimes need to slow down or play lighter for a bit.

Ask a Question