Fx pedals

Reaction score
Hey, new to forums. I've been playing for a while and am finally playing in a band. We play some songs where I have to switch sounds or fx in the middle of playing and I'm just wondering if they have pedals for that so I don't have to press buttons while playing. Someone told me to use a guitar pedal but as far as I know there aren't guitar pedals that have organ effects etc. I'm also looking for one where I can have choices while I play, maybe organ for one section of a song then regular piano for another section, then maybe violins. I have a korg sp200 if it matters. Anyway, if anyone knows if a pedal like this exists please let me know. I've been looking online but haven't found anything.

Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forums! I don't feel that I am an expert at all of this, but I'll do my best to help you out!

In theory, it is totally possible to run your keyboard through a bunch of pedals and such (just like you would a guitar). However, I wouldn't recommend it. As far as the sounds that you can achieve with guitar pedals, the sky is pretty much the limit. With a lot of tweaking and experimenting you can create any sound you want (including an organ-like sound). One problem with using pedals to obtain your sound is practicality. It's not practical for a keyboardist to have a ton of pedals that he is paying attention to live, while playing all the different parts assigned to him in a song. Another problem is the fact that you really don't hear of many keyboardists using this method, which would imply that it isn't the best route to go. I do know, however, that using reverb/overdrive/delay pedals is common in the professional keyboardist world.

What I would recommend for you, b0mb, is to use a laptop with software such as Reason to create and order all of these sounds for you. I am assuming that if you are contemplating purchasing pedal(s) then you would have a budget to shop around for some good software to accomplish your goal. There are so many different software options for you. As for all of these options, pros/cons and the best what-you-get-for-your-money ratio I am not sure. Reason is what I use, along with Abelton, and they are both AMAZING. I do know that the Korg SP200 does have MIDI that opens up a lot of doors for you. I would take advantage of those doors and begin researching some audio software. Again, I do recommend Reason. It's pretty much got everything that you are looking for, need, and more than you want most likely.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply, a lot of info there. As far as the Reason program which sounds like a lot of fun to use, let's say I make effects with it how do I go about changing them as I am playing? Mainly that is my problem, having to switch while playing. I'm assuming I can make effects from that program and program it into a pedal of some kind? Thanks again for the reply

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Generally speaking, most synths have at least one footswitch input. While this generally defaults to sustain, you can usually assign it another function such as switching patches/programs or turning on/off effects.

Or if you want to go really deep into MIDI programming and your synth has proper DIN MIDI ports you can buy a MIDI footswitch pedalboard like this one and program it to control more MIDI functions.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

Again it depends on which synth you have and what functions it allows you to control.

Reaction score
Wow that pedal is super advanced. Ill probably take a ride to Sam ash and see what they have, after looking through things I'll probably just start with something basic for now even if it is just a guitar pedal and as I get more familiar get something better. Thanks

Reaction score
As far as the Reason program which sounds like a lot of fun to use, let's say I make effects with it how do I go about changing them as I am playing? Mainly that is my problem, having to switch while playing. I'm assuming I can make effects from that program and program it into a pedal of some kind? Thanks again for the reply
With reason you can change effects by clicking on the next track, which will be easy to see when first using Reason. Basically, Reason gives you a bunch of rack units that bring EVERYTHING into play. You organize, mix and match, and create your own rack for each sound. When you change from one sound to another, the program brings the new sound's rack into play.

It's quite possible you could even incorporate that footboard just mentioned above into switching these sounds. When researching your keyboard a little it didn't look like it had a huge variety of sounds. If this is true, you'll need to make it a slave to something in order to branch out.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too happy with my choice of sounds on my keyboard unfortunately. There are not that many and they dont really sound good. The piano sound and the feel i am happy with though. That program is also a bit advanced for me. Right now I'm just jamming with a couple of friends at a house so for now maybe ill just get a couple of regular guitar pedals and play around till I need something more advanced which, knowing me and my friends, I won't need it :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Right now I'm just jamming with a couple of friends at a house so for now maybe ill just get a couple of regular guitar pedals and play around till I need something more advanced which, knowing me and my friends, I won't need it :)
If you are just having fun and letting things fall where they may, don't sweat it bro! In that case, it's about the fun and not the sound/tone so much.

Ask a Question