Pedals for Yamaha DXG640

Reaction score
I'm asking this on my father's behalf. There is a Yamaha pedal unit called LP-7A or LP7A, that can be bought separately and attached to the Yamaha DXG640, which he's got (the same pedal unit is likely also for the DXG630 and DXG650). He currently has the single sustain pedal that came with the keyboard.

Does it make any difference to the sound, such as "resolution" (or what it might be called) or otherwise, compared to the sustain pedal that was included? I mean between the sustain pedal that came with the piano and the one that is on the pedal unit, disregarding the two other pedals of the pedal unit.

Would you who use it recommend it?

Also, some people write that it is only available in grey, that there is longer any colour option. Others (on Amazon Q&A) say it's black, but perhaps that may depend on when they bought it... I'm not sure whether a grey board would look good at all, if it's true that it's the only colour today, the other boards of my father's DGX640 stand being Walnut. Thoughts about this?

Best regards,
Andreas Jansson

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
According to the information on Yamaha's USA site, the LP-7A's sustain pedal has the half-damper effect. I'm not sure, but I don't think a sustain pedal was included with the DGX-640 when it was originally sold, so I don't know what pedal you received with the DGX-640 that you bought. Yamaha makes sustain foot switches and some pedals which simply turn the sustain on or off, as well as pedals which include the half-damper effect for more controlled and expressive sustain. The DGX-640's manual specifies that the LP-7A is the pedal board to use, so I imagine that it will give results at least as good as what your father is using now.

As for the color, the LP-7A is used with the DGX-660, which is the current model, so it must still be in production. You can ask your local Yamaha dealer to find out if there are any color options available. Gray is a pretty neutral color, so hopefully it would look okay with the rest of the stand if it's the only color available.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One other issue is that a stand alone sustain pedal tends to wander across the floor. The three pedal unit attaches to the stand, so it's always where you want it. From a player's point of view, this alone may be worth it.

Ask a Question