Good sheet music software

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been playing the keyboard for a couple of months now. I'm learning using "SimplyPiano" on my phone. No doubt not the best method, but lessons arent an option right now, and I am definitely improving. To let you know where I am, I've been doing chords and notes in both the C and F positions on the right hand, with the relevant basenotes on the left, and I've just started moving the left hand into the F position too, so still very early on. When playing songs on the app ive found the scrolling music score is really easy to follow, particularly seeing as I'm using my phone so having a whole sheet on the screen wouldn't work. Are there apps that can do this with either a midi file or with a music score uploaded, so I can play other songs I find? Anyone got any tips on the best way to go about this, or tips in general?

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Welcome Anton.

Learning on an iPhone will be a bit restrictive due to the small screen size.

If you have an iPad all the better since most of the Apps do tend to have a page or partial page of music displayed and a foot operated bluetooth controller can be used to advance the sheet music. Typically the sheet music is displayed and the play along cursor moves along the score at a fixed but adjustable rate hence the Apps are not best suited for a phone, the bigger the tablet the better.

Check out the Apps:- OnSong, Piascore, forscore and Sheet Music.

Continue doing what you are doing and add a chord at a time but do learn the correct fingering techniques.

I would suggest that you learn C, D minor, E minor, F, G, Am and B diminished but this one is not so well used. Then learn the majors of the minors you have learned & then the seventh’s.

Most pop type songs have a structured format of the form 1, 4, 5 so in the key of C that would be C, F, and G. Many songs are 1,5, 4 so that becomes C, G, F with chords 2, 3 and 6 being included in the song to add dynamics.

Hence in any Key the sequence of Chord types can be Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished.

Learn these basics and thousands of songs come into the play along mode.

You will find Guitar Tabs a useful site and there are thousands of songs there that someone has transcribed the chords are shown above the lyrics and hence you can play along.

Finally checkout pianogenius.com as he teaches the technique you are following and he has a bunch of free videos available which will show you correct fingering and methods of determining what chord is what, which for a major is very easy with you right hand your thumb is finger 1 and little pinky 5. Thumb on C, 3 on E, 5 on G, now press and hold the notes and look at the number of unplayed notes between each of the fingers playing a note, this is 3 & 2. Choose any note including black notes and replicate the C chord so you have 3 and 2 unplayed notes between your fingers playing the chords. Now you have learned how to play all the Major chords.

Reaction score
That's really good info, thanks. I've already got chords G C D and Am pretty consistent. going from Am down to G without looking is hit and miss sometimes, but if I have a quick glance its fine. That'll get easier with practice. Other than that I'm quite consistent even with the basenotes or 2 note chords (if that's what they're called) thrown in. I'll look into the other chords you mentioned. SimplyPiano does have a proper series of lessons and tutorials to follow where once a lesson is completed unlocks the next batch of say 20 songs, so I make a point of getting half decent at all of those before I move on, to cement what I've learned. It is working but I am looking forward to getting to the stage where I can play whatever I want to play from sheet or a midi, not the random and hardly exciting selection on the app

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There is FREE as in BEER software for displaying a MIDI track as sheet and it has learning mode for playing the song live.

It is called Piano Booster and it is open source and safe to use,.

Three is also Synesthia which is a little different but also a lot of fun and an educational game to boot.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi again. Annoyingly still waiting on my midi cable, but I'm still working through SimplyPiano. Sharps and flats getting thrown in now, its getting quite hard but luckily I'm stubborn and happily stand there playing the same song over and over for an hour (or more) until I get it. Anyway, while I've been waiting for my cable I've been getting some midis together, and I have noticed that decent ones arent overly easy to come by. Not of proper music anyway, I've got a nice collection of classic computer game music though! Haha. So what does everyone else do for finding music to play? Are midis old news and people all play from sheet? Anyone got any tips or inspiration? The biggest worry for me is I run out of stuff to play and then lose interest. I can read music on a beginner level. I understand accidentals etc, just deciphering it would take me a little while at first.

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just Google "Free MIDI File Downloads"

You'll get dozens of hits on various collections freely available on the web.

It just takes a little patience to sort out the good sites from the bad ones.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
In the interest of keeping threads useful, you were right, Gary. BitMidi has got loads of decent ones of all different genres, and a good search function. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Enjoy. Right now as I type this I'm listening to my personal MIDI collection thru my Juno DS88.

DAMN those Roland GS Sounds are some first class MIDI voices. :)

Enjoy the music. Music without vocals is its purest form :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question