Greetings from Bowie MD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a musician from Maryland, about 20 miles outside of Washington D.C. I've been playing keyboards since I was 10 and have been fascinated my music for as long as I can remember. I've had various 'toy' keyboards most of my pre-teen/teenage years. However, my first real keyboard was the Yamaha PSR 510. Although it’s very ancient now, I was able to create a lot of memorable songs with that machine.

I'm in a band now and I'm currently using a Yamaha DGX-500 as a MIDI controller for my Yamaha MM6. For effects I have a Micro Korg Synth/Vocoder? I wonder if this is enough to have a serious musical impact. I am a huge fan of Stevie Wonder and the vintage Rhodes/Clavinet and Moog sounds.

Take Care
Dez

Reaction score
Hello Dez

Got all excited there - thought you were David Bowie's Musical Director. One of my regular gigs has been with a funk band. "Funk Keyboards - the complete method" by Gail Johnson and the Funk chapter in Mark Harrison's "The Pop Piano Book" are worth working your way through. Don't know about the "making a serious musical impact" bit of your post but I recommend both of these to students.

Good luck on making a mighty groove.
Colin

P.S. Provided you don't mind lugging the Yamaha around your gear is fine. You've reached the point where it's gonna be all about the fingers ...

Ask a Question